Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Small Cats at Play

.
I tried to write a prologue to the big Cat adventures for the last couple of days but it just didn't work.
Even Mark thought it was a pretty poor showing. We're both feeling extremely tired in the evening lately by the time the generator comes on but we are generally doing well health-wise. I haven't a clue what is slowing us down but I will post again as soon as we both liven up a little. To give you an idea of the lag here, I forced out a miserable piece and then asked Mark to proofread it. He immediately spilled his very large sticky red drink over my entire work area; desk, floor, monitor screen, post-it notes, magazines and keyboard last night. It was not a pretty sight and I became more than discouraged. Now I am using his keyboard until a new one arrives. He tried to wring out and resurrect the drowned keyboard last night and today but it is not responding well to his triage. He went on-line tonight and found a 'spill-proof keyboard' so, with any luck, he will have his keyboard back in about three weeks time.

In the meantime, I am going to cheat and post a cat video. It's not the big Cat that Bruno is waiting for but the small variety, sent to us by John E. in Phoenix. Sure, it's a tread-water move that I don't like to do but it does let you know that all is still relatively well out here and that we will be showing up shortly with the continuation of the latest news and misadventures.

This is about a 3 meg download. Hope it works!




28 comments:

Buck said...

OK...I'm not a cat-person, but I liked that! I got at least a couple of chuckles and one big laugh out of the vid. I'd say you hit your mark, Lin.

As for keyboards...once you baptize them there's no getting 'em back. I've doused a few with wine, beer, coffee, and Dr. Pepper. As cheap as they are these days it's not worth the effort to disassemble them in a resurrection attempt.

I hope you guys get your mojo back soon.

Alex L said...

hehehehe... kitties.

Lin said...

You know, Buck, I wasn't much of a cat person either until I ran into the Katlady, Red and Mark. Seems like the more you're around them (the cats, that is), the more you start to appreciate what funny creatures they can be. I suppose that can be said of the aforementioned humans as well.

Lin said...

PopeT, as they say "but wait! There's more!" I have a couple more than I fire up when I just need a good laugh.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Thanks for making me chuckle Lin, there were some real howlers there! Hope you feel more energised and rested soon - but you have had a lot to deal with (that nasty infection hung around forever, didn't it?) on top of all the usual stuff you deal with - it's little wonder you both feel a little tired and flat now. Try and rest up hon. Hope your keyboard arrives soon.

Lin said...

Shrinky, I am so glad that I could send a chuckle your way after your latest upset. Sounds like your med system is as inefficient (or stunned) as ours. I was so relieved that it worked out for you despite the days of coronary-inducing waiting for answers!
Sorry about the lack of Manx cats in the video though.

Buck said...

Lin sez: Seems like the more you're around them (the cats, that is), the more you start to appreciate what funny creatures they can be.

Ummm, nope. A former roomie of mine in the waaay-back had a cat she dearly loved. Me, not so much. That cat loved to (a) climb my speakers...in the front, right up the grille cloth and (b) stalk me across the back of the couch as I sat there, minding my own business. The first time she stalked me she actually attacked, pouncing on the left side of my head and drawing blood on my ear from a vicious (well "vicious" is an exaggeration... of sorts) swipe of her claws. Said cat nearly met Her Maker right then and there, saved only by the intervention of my roomie. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

That cat eventually expired due (I think) to natural causes. My roomie thinks, to this day, that I put a contract out on her cat. Thankfully I was six or eight states away (at the ADCOM NCO academy in FLA; said cat was in North Dakota) when a mutual friend found the cat dead...frozen stiff as a board... in our yard. I think the cat got out of the house and simply froze to death. This was in NoDak, in December. It don't take much...

I had NOTHING to do with it, seriously. But I didn't shed one single itty-bitty tear at her passing.

Lin said...

Buck, now that you mention it, I bet that's why I wasn't real fond of them myself for a long time. I got mauled by a cat when I was a kid - about 13 claw holes and a few good sets of fang holes. I guess living at the Katlady's boarding house was kind of an immersion course for me but, then again, she had some really sweet cats hanging around. Still, it DID take a while for me to get fond of them.

Eeesh ... sounds like you were stuck in Minot for a while!

david mcmahon said...

Ouch, I can feel your keyboard's pain.

(Was it a red alert!!)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I love the cat walking along the fence. Funny.

Catmoves said...

Lin, you can clean your key board in the dish washer (if you have one). Remove all the keys (after you've made a chart of where they go) and run it through the machine with mebbe a quarter of the dish washer cleaner you use. Do not let it go through the dry cycle. Take it out, put it some secure place, (where the cats can't find the new toy) turn it over every day for five days. (Arbitrary number, but I used it.) Put the keys back on using that chart you made and it's all cleany new and sparkling.
Re: temperment problems. Living in N.M. can change your physical reactions to real stuff in our air. It goes with the territory. You'll boith get through it. Patience is the keyword.
Thanks for leaving me out of that group (Katlady, Red and Mark).
If you google about cleaning keyboards you'll find a few entries there.

alphonsedamoose said...

Some funny stuff on the video Lin.I am not a cat person either but that's because of allergies.
You and Mark take care of yourselves and get back to health.

Lin said...

David, grin, it was DEFINITELY a red alert. In fact, when he spillrf his punch, he almost got another one immediately.

Lin said...

Cat, you really are a cat to suggest we put the keyboard into the dish washer when we are off-the-grid. If I tried that with the dishwasher, he would undoubtedly return the painful favor.

You're probably right - this sudden (and I mean SUDDEN) change to cool weather might still have us in catch-up mode. One day we're sweating, the next we're shivering for good!

I thought of you first when I posted the video but it was the infamous cat trio that got me hooked a couple of decades ago. They performed the initial brainwashing but you are compounding the cat effect!!!

Lin said...

Babzy, that was your favorite part, too? That cat walking the fence cracked us up BIG TIME! We just had to back it up to watch it again.

Lin said...

Moose, allergies absolutely suck, don't they? I suspect that the kitty boys didn't help my sinus problem what with all of us holed up in one room of the Rat all that first winter long.

BRUNO said...

Now don't go frettin' over ME---it ain't gonna be worth the pain in your knuckles from the posting! I know where I can find BOTH types of cats when I "feel the need"! I've got three of the small variety that take-up residence in my outbuildings.

And as for the BIG type, the fella that lives "a fur-piece down the road" from me is a contractor, and hauls, or "drives", one of them by on a daily basis. At seven o'clock in the morning, the noise-level rivals that of a main-line rail system around here!

Lin said...

Bruno, I bet when you settle in to the shop, the small cats all come schmoozing around for lovies and you spoil them rotten when no body is watching.

I can see where the big cats going by negates the need for an alarm clock, as long as you're willing to go by the contractor's time schedule. It wasn't going to let me sleep in, that's for sure.

Buck said...

Eeesh ... sounds like you were stuck in Minot for a while!

I was at Fortuna AFS, actually. About two hours NW of Minot, on the NoDak - Montana - Saskatchewan border (I lived in Westby, MT... pop. 250). I was there for exactly 12 months, three days, eight hours, and ten minutes. Not that I was counting, or anything. ;-)

Lin said...

A place actually further north than Minot? WOW ... what did you do to PO the CO? J-u-s-t kidding!

*Goddess* said...

LOL! Typical lazy cat. Doesn't even move when it's about to be run over by a "big wheeler";) Great vid.

Lin said...

Goddess, wasn't that great? I could see one of Red's big ol' boy Maine Coons doing the same thing, like 'Whatever ... just don't expect me to move any time soon."

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I can't stands a good cat, but that was hilarious anyway!

Now I'm spittin' cat hair!

Lin said...

yeah, I know, mushy, some guys just get that allergy to the critters. It's an acquired taste for many of us but they have a way of schmoozing in when you're not paying full attention. DAMHIK!

FHB said...

Nothin' like watchin' a kitten discover the world. Hilarious.

Lin said...

FHB, I am such a sucker for young animal antics, too. Good thing I can't adopt them all!

Bob's Blog said...

Very funny video!

Lin said...

Thanks, Bob - if I can share a bit of fun with someone else amidst our daily travails, life becomes much better for me, too.