Sunday, October 21, 2007

Just Daisy and Me Hiking

.
I awoke Saturday morning to Daisy's mournful howling and barking. Since she refuses to ride in the truck, Mark had loaded Brou up, put Daisy on the lead and then departed on his mission of the day. Daisy was not in the mood for any sort of consolation so I pulled the Dakota out of the barn and slowly headed East. As always, she fell in behind at a trot. If she starts to overtake the truck, I speed up since I don't want her anywhere near the wheels, just in case I have to take sudden evasive action. She was still game for the hike, even after following along for a mile. These pups aren't suburban couch wimps by any means.

Our mission? I had been looking out the window a few days ago near dusk and saw the sun play on a fascinating rock formation about 3/4 of a mile east of here and on the far side of the creek. The sun and shadows are forever revealing things you had never noticed before. Today was our day to satisfy my curiosity.

I pulled in to our ranch's farthest well site east of here. It is not far from the creek and, as you can see in the above photo, the large cottonwoods along its banks were in the late stages of Fall color. Just two weeks ago, they were a uniform brilliant yellow. If you want to find water out here in the desert, look for the cottonwoods. What you see in the foreground is the usual mix of sage, chico and grass. The practical part of my mission was to survey the grasses. Between the more plentiful rains of last year and this year, they were starting to recover from the decades of year round raiding by the stray cattle from next door. Our program of patiently herding them back and their owner's help in replacing the fences across the washes after the rainy season has made the world of difference in the grass recovery in just two seasons. Grass is cattle feed and our main source of income is cattle grazing. This inspection trip was heartening.


Daisy and I found a way down the banks to the creek and crossed over to the far side. It took a while to find a way up the far bank however. It doesn't matter, the walk is always enjoyable, with or without detours. In this photo, you can see the wide zigzag and erosive path of the creek. In this case, it was stopped from taking further liberties by the hard sandstone base of the mesa. Our concern is the eroding away of our access road which is often built on deep deposits of silts, part clay and part sand.

Without the influence of the bounding Brou, Daisy was actually a very good hiking partner, never more than 50 yards away at any given time. She was there within seconds when I called and often pointed out navigable paths through the boulder outcroppings ahead that I might have missed otherwise.

A delightful find was a piece of petrified wood sitting by itself. Above, you can plainly see the original form of the bark as well as a healed over branch knot. The iron minerals lent it the russet color and the tiny white spots were dazzling crystals flashing in the sunlight. This tree had been laying in state at least 200 feet down in the sedimentary layers before it had been exposed by ancient flowing waters. Now it's sum parts are scattered irretrievably by time like so many artifacts out here.

Pay dirt! We had hiked back towards the Rat about 1/2 a mile when I came across this huge billboard quality rock with a rich iron water patina, a former part of the mesa which had broken away and fallen to the base many hundreds of years ago. What looked like faint scratches became inscriptions as we drew closer. Some were still legible such as "Je M.U.F - o4", "Benino Gonsales - 1911", "Dona Cian" (who was likely Benino's gal back home according to the similar undisciplined etching style). Above Benino's scrawl was a weathered script so flourished and perfectly genteel but I could not decipher it. Some of these inscriptions might have dated back to the first Spanish incursions into the region over 400 years ago. The first two dated to just before New Mexico became part of the U.S. Remember that you can click on any of these photos for an enlarged view. What wonderful finds for one day's hike!
.
.

37 comments:

Jenny said...

Cool hike!! Love the pics, as always.

alphonsedamoose said...

What great pictures and description Lin. Is it just me or do you see a dog's face in the petrified wood? Almost like a wolf snout.

Lin said...

jenny, when ever you feel like exploring our region, know you're very welcomed. By Spring, we just might have enough room for the whole fam damily - I'm hoping, I'm hoping (more on that recent development later).

Lin said...

Moose! You saw that wolf face in the petro wood, too? I was going to say something about it and then thought "Nah, they'll think I'm just gnawing on my straight jacket constraints again." His muzzle is the ancient knot protruding out of the bark. At least if we are lunatics, we're both mad in the same identical way and that is somehow very, very comforting.

Alex L said...

You should have added your own name, for future generations.

simon said...

I saw it as well! I got news today that our tenterfield terrier killed a very large poisonous snake in our back yard...

Poor snake.. :o(

Lin said...

PopeT, you know, I have wrestled with that thought a lot. Right now it would be considered rude and thoughtless graffiti but, then again, 100 years from now, well, it would be pretty cool to a new viewer. I'm still grinding away on the whole idea.

Lin said...

Simon, so you're a wolf-face seeing lunatic as well? Good on ya and welcome!
My congrats to your terrier though - better than having your family run into it. I'm all for letting things alone when I met them in their territory but when they encroach in mine, I'd just as soon remove the threat. If I found a tarantula crawling up our bedpost, you can bet that the big S-U-W-A-P with a shoe is going to follow in short order. Benign critters, that's quite a different story though. When in doubt, I would still opt for the big kah-splat.

Buck said...

I was thinking it was more like a bear face in that petrified wood pic.

Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and gorgous land. Can't wait to come by, now that my new knee and Sally's new hip are up to hiking without limping like old coots. love, Red

alphonsedamoose said...

Ah Lin, we have both been warped for a long time.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I sure do enjoy exploring your place - nice shots.

Jenny said...

Thanks for the invite. I'm trying to figure out where in NM you are? NM has such diverse terrain, yet sometimes it looks the same. Valleys, mountains, forests, treeless plains. Yet some places look the same (Ruidoso/Cloudcroft looks alot like Mora. Abq and Las Cruces look alike, too). Without giving away your exact location, can you kinda tell me what part of the state you are in? I've suspected the Gila wilderness, just because some of your pictures looks like my husband's deer hunting pictures.

Lin said...

Buck ... bear, wolf, close enough - welcome to the club. Bears do have that same squarish muzzle now that you mention it.

Lin said...

Red, with all the parts replacements you two have had, you'll be in way better shape for hiking than Mark and I so you will have no worries about getting left behind. Even have an official guest bed set-up now - almost civilized.

Lin said...

Moose, I guess that was kinda a given by a few decades ago, wasn't it? grin

Lin said...

Wait 'til you get here, Mushy, you will be blown away first hand. The views wide beyond my camera lens are what really knocks your socks off.

Lin said...

Jenny, go to my profile and pick-up my e-mail address. I just reinstalled it and will leave it there for a day or two. If the SPAM starts picking up again, I will remove it again so don't dally. Drop me a line! Same goes for the rest of my blog friends and readers (but NOT spammers!).

Catmoves said...

Hi lin. I noticed what I thought was an old Indian's face on the end of the rock (different eyes, different views?).
And I thought that I saw something was "on sale".
Maybe I should visit a shrink?

Anonymous said...

I see a face, too. Are you sure that's petrified wood and not petrified road-kill?

Lin said...

Cat ... you're lookin' at the wrong rock! Look at the petrified wood instead. I can see where you're seeing something 'on sale' in the big one - that was Senior g-ON-SALE-s, creator of the first NM yard sale c. 1911. The g-r-e-e-e-n-gos heard about it and swept in shortly thereafter to take over the neighborhood and this lucrative new yard sale industry. The rest is history, as we both well know.

alphonsedamoose said...

Yeah,it's at least one maybe two, maybe... decades ago. LOL

Lin said...

Babzy - I know it was a tree and not a wolf ... are you ready for this ... because you can tell by their bark. Ah-hah-hah-hah (insane cackle moment). On the other hand, I think I did come across what they call petrified excretus which is the snazzy word for ... you know.

Lin said...

Moose, where did that time fly away to anyway? I suppose it doesn't matter though, it didn't alter the fact that we're still at least a half bubble off level.

BRUNO said...

Aw, DAMN!!! I was gonna make an "off-color" comment about the petrified wood, but BABZY beat me to it! Oh well, there's always a next time....!

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: I think Babzy has joined us with her last comment. LOL

Buck said...

Apropos of nothing... There really IS a word for fossilized poo.

Dontcha just LOVE English?

Lin said...

Bruno, ya gotta be quicker than that to keep ahead of Babzy. Same thing happens to me all the time, I always get there too late to claim the really good comeback comments.

Lin said...

Ya know, Moose, there isn't a darn thing wrong with Babzy - she's just plains nuts like the rest of us. We just have to convince her of that now. I believe in celebrating sheer lunacy because it sure beats the usual alternatives.

Lin said...

Buck! You just gave me a flashback to my pre-high school days when I was obsessed with archeology. How could I forget such a dignified name for fossilized poop anyway? It sounds so semi-precious that maybe I should start mounting this stuff in gold and silver rings. It sure beats catchy marketing titles like "Ancient Turd Rings".

Anonymous said...

Lin, look at the petrified tree rock closely and you'll see the face of a bear with the 2 eyes, the snout and mouth (I swear it's so).I remember the wonderful cottonwood areas on the drive from Silver City to Reserve. They took my breath away. A few years back I was at a small antique show in nearby Georgetown, TX, and "fell in love" with a small oil painting of such a creek area with 2 deer at the water and yellow, orange, russet cottonwoods. There were soft hills in the backgorund. It is in my living room now and evokes memories DAILY of my love for that part of the "real" Southwest which, to me anyway, is NM and AZ. Thanks for sharing! Belton Belle

Anonymous said...

Yep, Trail Mix. That's us.

Lin said...

Belle, hey, I was wondering where you had gotten to. I'm really kicking myself for not getting photos of the cottonwoods in their prime Fall colors. We lost some big ones due to the creek running big time and washing them out this year. It kills me when they fall over like that.

P.S. You are now an official member of the 'I also see a face in the rock' club - real GOOD company though!

Lin said...

Yep, you got that right, Babzy. Be proud and wear the t-shirt and the secret decoder ring always!

*Goddess* said...

Why won't Daisy ride in the truck, Lin? Bad experience or just afraid?

I was watching a show the other day where a dog was riding in the back of a flatbed tow truck and another vehicle came flying across the other side of the road (on ice) and smashed into the tow truck. That dog braced himself and never fell off the back! I was shocked that he was able to keep his footing against that onslaught.

Our neighbor drives around with his dog in the back of his truck all the time and he even goes into the store and leaves the dog there. Holly would be long gone if I did that.

Lin said...

Goddess, I'm thinking that Daisy came with more serious baggage than we knew when the vet's office all but begged us to adopt her. Apparently she did not have a great last home. She rode home inside the truck with Mark and barfed the entire way. We thought she was seriously ill but then it became apparent that she is an anxiety barfer but she is slowly mellowing out in that respect. Maybe that vehicle phobia will fade out eventually as well. I keep trying but she's not ready quite yet.

FHB said...

Absolutely cool! Those pictures are great, and I was sure you'd wandered into some undiscovered petroglyphs. Very cool. Paradise.