.
As much as this is a brutally tough and rugged appearing land, it is also a very delicate and sensitive one. It will bleed profusely when scratched even ever so lightly. As time goes on, I will show you more photos of what even the fairly benign elements of wind and rain can do to this landscape sporting the tough-guy facade.
.
Mark decided to go east to start this week's sign posting chores 'up top'. We had not been through the locked gate at the ranch's end since mid-summer and he was back within the half hour, insisting that I come see the summer rain's work on the road beyond for myself. "No, you won't really appreciate what I ran into unless you see it for yourself, I kid you not. C'mon, jump in the truck!" Since Daisy won't jump into the truck but WILL run herself to death following us, we tethered her to the moving trailer and headed down the road with the ever well-behaved Brou in the back seat. Mark did the honors at the gate and began his play-by-play narration; "Okay, so I'm through the gate and mostly thinking about the crossing at the creek itself when I hit the brakes because I am suddenly looking down eight feet, dead in front of the truck ... right about ... here!" Thanks to that impressive re-enactment, my breakfast was now requesting an instant replay. "Yes, thank you, I can see how this might have commanded your full attention, I can, really."
.
Then he noticed a new trail blazed through the rough grasses to the west and pointed the Ram's head to follow. It generously skirted the old road (now a committed arroyo) in a rough and bumpy manner and finally met up with the work of a back hoe which had placed a bridge of dirt across the new gap at a narrowing much further up. At this point, we parked on the other side and walked back to the edge of the old road.
.
.This photo above was taken after we found a less treacherous path down into the wash. I have placed a yellow line in the photo to indicate the original path of the road as recently as July. Although I cannot describe our rains this season as being exceptional or even plentiful, there must have been just the right downpours in this exact area to incise 8 feet of earth away from the road bed here.
.
..We wandered down the arroyo to find the matching end of this now defunct road (marked with a yellow spot). It was nearly impossible to imagine this much material ripped away by one season's rains. I thought of a ditty occasionally murmured by an eccentric engineer I once worked with in phone plant; "Rooty-toot-toot, Rooty-toot-toot, We are the boys from the institute, We are not rough, We are not tough, But - we - are - determined!" He'd always turn to face me for that last line, one index finger up in the air for accentuation and that madman grin on his face that I so adored. Now, that may seem like a strange recollection to make at this moment but it struck me that this was how our rains operate; not in vicious assaults but by gently overwhelming their surroundings with a doggedly patient determination. No tsunamis, no crashing white waters, just a constant relaxed flow, unebbing and thoroughly resolute.
..
.We wandered even further down its now dry course to where its path was less incised, to where it was beginning to make concessions to the normal grade of the land at either side. This photo above shows Mark standing in front of a pile of flotsam caught in an exposed gas pipeline. Perhaps that debris pile will someday become a starter bed for new silts and sands to form a new deflecting bank. In our lifetime? It is more likely that the 40 or 50 feet of newly exposed 6 inch pipeline will rupture and fill our canyon with gas at impressive compressor-driven volumes. I followed the fresh tracks of several cows up to and either over or under this line. Since there are far more hazardous cases of exposed pipeline in the region which have gone long unaddressed, we don't expect any miracle of responsible maintenance to occur any time soon. Tell you what; if you hear of our demise by massive inferno, the first one of you to investigate and prove that it was corporate negligence, you get what's left of the ranch, too, okay? There will still be a goodly amount left, I can assure you. I will only hang around to haunt the corporate bean-counters and budget wonks responsible ... promise. I'm sure any one of them would freak if I performed my infamous Daytona hairspray blow torch demonstration in their living room but it's okay for them to do it to us on the Russian Roulette macro scale.
.
.I did get a consolation hike in the process. Mark was quite willing to hang out by the truck while I scaled a new mesa bench with Brou. I will admit that it took longer than I had planned (AS USUAL) but it was such a joy to wander through the trees, over one odd formation of worn terraces and rocks to another and yet another. Soft, dense area rugs of pine needles under foot, the natural sandstone steps, the smooth open paths of old rains, the strewn gravel of old glaciers, the hidden niches and shelters in the worn rock. Occasionally, I would pass by a shard of ancient pottery which whispered to me that someone else had once loved this place as much as I. It is in these places where I am most free of time's shackles, most fully aware and most joyfully alive. I hope you all can find a place like this in your lifetime.
.
26 comments:
Since there are far more hazardous cases of exposed pipeline in the region which have gone long unaddressed, we don't expect any miracle of responsible maintenance to occur any time soon.
Well, now. THAT is most mind-boggling. Looking at the pic of the exposed pipeline in the arroyo, it's hard to conceive of more hazardous cases. For me, anyway. Anyone who's lived in these parts for any length of time at all knows arroyos are danged dangerous during our rains. That pipe won't stand the proverbial snowball's chance in Hell of surviving a real gully-washer.
One would think the gas company would be more conscientious about maintenance... But, I suppose penny-wise and pound-foolish is never gonna go away.
What a wonderful place...never staying the same...always changing to make it worth your time to live there.
Thanks for sharing the photos!
That is my thought exactly, Buck, that anything close to this situation is hazardous and unacceptable. But you should see some of the stuff they chose to ignore due to supposed budget restraints (greedy SOBs). Sooo - you ready to sign up for our negligence revenge plan? I love poetic justice, posthumous or not.
Mushy, despite the gas field nonsense, you would LOVE this place as much as we do according to your comments. Some things are just worth risking the hazards ... even if they might kill you. So far, so good - and very much worth it to us.
Living outside of a town that's been flooded several times, it's astonishing the damage (and change) water can do to ground.
One thing's for sure, as you said---there would be NO such thing, as a BORING hike, out there!
Very impressive example of wash and erosion. What prevents this from happening close to your trailer? It appears here the soil is very sandy, as in a dessert. Is your trailer on more rocky land?
Goddess, whooh - I bet you DO see a lot of water's bad side, especially since it probably arrives on some BIG winds. The Katlady sent me photos of some storm damage she had to deal with there - not pleasant at all.
Bruno, seems like there is always something to get your attention out here. But you rarely see people. And when we do, they have been pretty decent (and usually pretty humble because they are hopelessly lost). You'd love it.
JAC, we have those very same soils under the Rat. That is why I was intent on having Quig put that big driveway/ditch between us and the mesa. It will stop a lot of site erosion from mesa run-off. Now we'll feel more comfortable about adding new buildings in the future, too.
It is a good thing mark was paying attention.If he had gone over the edge he could have done some real damage.
Love the pictures. You should sent them to TV stations and maybe the legislature to point out the dangers of the pipeline. Surely there must be some accountability.
Moose, at that drop height, yep, I would have expected a near total on the frame. This is the second time we've stopped short of driving over a cliff - they don't put up barriers when a road gets washed away.
I'm definitely saving photos for the rainy day when we reach our fill of this sort of thing (if it doesn't kill us first).
Hi lin. Dang big business that keeps crying "poor mouth". Mebbe you should take moose' advice and send them to your state senator. OTOH, he's probably collecting reelection money from them.
Not that I believe any New Mex politico would accept graft....
Cat, I suspect as much, too. The industry as been very generous where it counts well for them. All levels of gov't get big income from them up and down the food chain. And everyone and his brother has, is or will work for them. We've heard that they are pretty Teflon-coated but a few have actually succeeded in getting their attention after much legal money was invested.
Wow, that erosion is umbelievable. I cant imagine having a landscape that could change like that year to year.
PopeT, what really blew me away was a recent remark that, before this long drought, the rate of erosion was many times more impressive. Hard to imagine!
My God Lin, that is outragous - that pipe is sure to break if it isn't covered over soon - and as for the road, I guess you can't sue if you break your neck and are dead and gone. I can't believe how irresponsible your gas company and local authority is to leave it like that. Good luck hon, sounds like your going to need it!
The irony, Shrink, is that we are not their customers. They wouldn't hook us up if our lives depended on it (even though this ranch once had a 'tap'). We put up with the dangers and someone else 2 states away gets the benefit. This makes it even more insulting.
I'm actually impressed that the pipeline itself held up in the onslaught.
I guess you really have to be on your toes when you're driving around out there - that's got to make driving after dark a real adventure!!!
If anything happens to you, I don't want the ranch. I'd only want your ranch if you came with it. I could be staff decorator and Mistress of Frivolities, or something. We'd think of something silly to occupy my time.
Lin, the last few lines of your post got my curiosity up. If you had never met Mark and happened to be a single lady would you have gone on this adventure? Would you love this place and feel "joyfully alive"? How about Mark? Would he feel the same love for your area if he were there alone?
As a single lady, this idea intrigues me.
Plegmmy, when you see some of the other exposed lines out here, you really do become amazed at what they are withstanding. Some GREAT welders out there, methinks.
Driving after dark is a trip - all roads look the same even if they just go to a well site. We'd get lost for hours when we first got here but luckily didn't run into any surprise roads ends.
What if I hung around and haunted the place for you (in a benign, friendly way, of course)? You could work in my lighting shop designing stuff. That should all be unpacked before Spring! You would kick butt at that stuff, I know just it.
That is an excellent question, Babzy! Thing is, I would never have been able to afford this on my own. If I had been younger and with the financial resources, I know I would have tried something like this by myself. Mark loves it enough that he said he would stay on if somethings happens to me. I would be inclined to hang on as well, at least until it became costly to keep up with or just too physically demanding. We've both always agreed that this isn't some desperate last stand. When it ceases to be fun or practical, we can always try something else. So far, so good though!
Absolutely beautiful. Your last line blows me away... "free of times shackles..." I love it. Yep, it's worth all the trouble to live there. At least I'm glad you do, so we can share it all. And thanks for sharing all these pictures. Beautiful.
FHB, I suspect that you will also be determined enough to find such a place. It can be attained and YOU will be one most likely do it, too.
ok, I'd settle for the company of your ghost, so long as we could have two-way conversations! Yup, I'd love to work in your design studio!
After seeing the job you did on the tank pinata, I know you would kick butt with creating lighting!
From what I have discovered personally, constant two-way seems to be tough from that side but I probably have what it takes to accommodate. grin
Post a Comment