Monday, October 08, 2007

Rippin' It Up! Part 2

.
I'm sure I must have given Quig the dozer operator plenty of safety-related anxiety as I appeared first here and then there and everywhere else with my camera but I was very thoughtful in my personal placement since I have a deep aversion to being run over by anything heavier than an Australian Shepherd (which is a regular occurrence).


But, as usual, the shot I wanted most was the one which was not in the downloads that night. My digital camera chooses its revenge VERY well in that respect. We had discussed "The Rock Behind the Barn" the week before and Quig had shown us a cell phone image which pictured a gargantuan rock which he had previously done battle with and won. I knew that I would witness a battle of Titans early on that day and set myself up to record the conflict. That vile little beast of a camera chose NOT to record it for posterity ... but at least I got to see the show-down.



The D8R sized up the rock and nipped in from one side, the right edge of its blade catching the monster by surprise at a 45 degree angle. The 40 ton Cat snarled and then screamed as the rock hunkered down vehemently in place and stood its ground. What I thought was a plume of steam was, in reality, smoke curling off the enraged rock as the blade cut in and gouged away mercilessly. The rock had been wounded but remained unmoved by the initial assault. The big Cat was now so locked in purpose and determination that the entire Cat beast started to swing around as if to meet the behemoth face-to-face. I became concerned about the corner of the barn which was about to become part of the battle field at the Cat's rear but Quig predicted the Cat's natural posturing quite casually and pulled back on the reins well before any such disaster could occur. In the end, it was a sturdy chunk of nature which bested us but the bout was worth it, recorded for posterity or not. We would simply alter our plans and work around the monolithic victor.



Below shows the rear ripper teeth in action. When the blade finds the cutting too hard, the ripper teeth do a fine job of loosening the material and our materials were apparently no great challenge for those teeth. Quig said that the tooth tips will survive for a year before having to be replaced under our conditions but that they will wear down within a few days in other locales within the region. You know that this can't be a cheap replacement. What I find amazing is that all usual contact points are so work-polished that they look like a high grade stainless, not a speck of rust to be found. Quig described the process of renewing the blade faces and other high-wear parts and it left me convinced that there are many true Vulcan artisans still out there.



By the time lunch rolled around, I had formulated a million questions from my many perches and Quig kindly had a million answers and then some. He confirmed that this drive configuration was not traditional. And he liked it. He said that the 'grousers' (what we would call the tracks) definitely suffered less wear. It also made the process of disconnecting the transmission from the tracks much easier. Actually, this part of the conversation came up after we asked about the misery suffered by another operator in the area recently. It led to an informative dissertation about the many ways in which a truly pathetic creature could inflict serious damage upon such a venerable beast. I will not post those lessons here for obvious reasons but, for a gearhead, it was truly a fascinating tour. But there are engineers somewhere out there at Cat Peoria HQ that I truly respect for this indirect drive feature. Simon was right, this is one magnificent feature!

Here was the game plan: Since we were settled in along the base of a mesa near the spring where the original homestead had been, we were subject to the ranting torrents of run-off water which had been de rigueur for epochs already. My idea was to level off the effluvial mounds beneath the heaviest drain areas while creating a large circular drive behind the entire barn and trailers area. This would also ameliorate forward drive access to our propane tank and our vehicle/generator fuel tanks. The big Cat would have to cut into the hill behind the barn to the tune of about 6 to 8 feet and also bring some areas up at least 3 feet to form an even drive capable of intercepting the run-off waters and diverting them to either side of the compound.




The last photo below will show you that Quig managed to do just that in a few hours time. Again, I think about an entire lifetime that I would have devoted to this task if armed with nothing but a shovel. Awesome, truly awesome by comparison.



Mark had been unusually absent during this entire process. He emerged at lunch time when the Cat shut down and caught up on the project and subsequent discourse. I cringed when he said "Well, maybe what we need now is one of my infamous 'turd washers' to test your theories." Sigh ... why, why, oh why does he say these things?

To be continued , partly from the prospective of Dilly the Second, the tiniest of dragons.
.
.

29 comments:

Alex L said...

thats quite a rock, we have a large one out the side of our house but its mostly buried.

Lin said...

PopeT, I also wondered about the true mass of that rock and how much of its bulk was playing silent iceberg under the sand for the last few thousand years.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Crikey lin, you don't do things by half, do you bonny lass? What a project - can't wait to see the after pictures!

Lin said...

I'm telling ya, Shrinky, brute horsepower applied to your imagination - it is an incredible feeling!

phlegmfatale said...

Why settle for earth-shaking when you can actually do some earth-moving? That's the coolest!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Wonderful blow-by-blow account Lin...I loved it. I'd also love to straddle a D8R one time in my life!

Buck said...

Good stuff, Lin...especially the photos. Ya done good with the three-parter showing The Ol' Homestead. Nice!

Unknown said...

That rock looks like a dinosaur skull to me. Where I grew up in WV rocks were all over the place. We mostly worked around them.

I love the pictures so much. Just seeing the land gets me all a tingle.

alphonsedamoose said...

Can you have that rock delivered up here for my pond please.
Great blog. That rock is monstrous.

Craver Vii said...

At first glance, that big rock looked like a fossilized dinosaur skull. You should take a chisel to it and make yourself one huge sculpture! They used dynamite for the sculptures in Mount Rushmore, but you don't want to damage the rest of the property, right?

FHB said...

Always wanted to learn to drive one of those things. Looks like a lot of fun.

Catmoves said...

lin, we had a big ole rain here last night. I went out and suggested it move in your direction. If you get a Turd Washer, let me know?

Catmoves said...

One more thing: Glad you're back.

Lin said...

Phlegmmy, you would have LURVED it! Beats the ever-livin' heck out of interior decorating by the ton!

Lin said...

Mushy, I know that you would have loved to see it first hand. And I can almost see why some passerby might take the opp to climb up into one of these beasts and try 'em out when everyone's gone home - what a thrill it would be.

Lin said...

Just Me Deb, I bet your rocks in WV were a lot harder than these guys. Mostly what we have at the ranch is made of sandstone so we could, in a pinch, whittle away at them. You were definitely stuck with your big'uns though.

My photos don't even come close to capturing that overwhelming feeling of land mass and history out here - I bet you could never go back if you saw it in person.

Lin said...

Moose, that is a pond rock that you will never regret placing for effect, especially at the price - but it is strictly you-load, you-haul-it terms. I'll give you a month to come grab it but then it's first come, first served. Hurry though because, when words gets out, they'll be lined up here like it's a play-off game.

Lin said...

Buck, you know, the family had been hoping for a better idea of what the homestead looks like so this seemed the perfect occasion to put it all together in a triptych. I had a fabulous time up on that first bench trying to catch Quig in all three photos and managing NOT to step over the edge in the excitement (which I have been known to do in shorter drop settings like open floor grates).

Lin said...

Craver, Deb saw the dino skull in that monster rock, too! This place is FULL of those incredible formations with fascinating wallows water-carved out of them. I could walk the same half mile trek on the bench every day for a year and still see something new and stunning carved in those rocks.
Sally was telling me about some rock carving techniques that have my serious attention.

Lin said...

FHB, our wonderful neighbors to the East (a dad and daughter) have both operated the big toys for a living. We are in serious envy but they said that they would show us the ropes if we ever got into the bigger stuff. Can't beat that offer with a stick.

Lin said...

Cat, your 'turd washer' didn't make it out this far. Can I put in an order though? Mark was talking with a drilling rig supervisor today about the horridly deteriorated road conditions. The guy winced when Mark said "Okay for you ... we'll have to do a rain dance for 2" just before you have to move this pricey rig out - you'll be stuck here just like us for who knows how long when that road collapses for good."

BRUNO said...

I was here, Lin---just runnin' a little late---again!

Speakin' of TURDS, now would be the prime-time to break-ground for that luxury-soaked latrine you've got blueprinted!

And it's amazing, indeed, that some of the simplest, oft-ignored things---like a badly-placed row of fencing---can take the tracks right off one of these 40-ton behemoths!

Horsepower to spare, indeed! But when they get high-centered in a creek-bed, they're suddenly as useful as tits on a boar hog, ain't they?

Lin said...

Bruno, not to worry, I do the same thing all the time - running late.

I've been thinking about the moist ground and timing of the next big latrine step, too. I almost got my pit dug out next when the rain hit. I think it's going to be left to the auger bits and the Deere now, while we are freezing our butts off, no doubt.

You're right, for their size, they sure have some serious Achilles Heels to them. I was worried about him walking that monster back across the creek when he left but we found it safe on the other side the following Monday. He said that when these fellas get stuck, it takes another D8 or bigger to get them out so we knew that anything we had was a pure waste of time. I did feel a little better when he said that the PSI impact of the Cat is less than our pick-up truck tires so I was counting on that little bit of extra float to get him across the creek bed safely.

Alex L said...

I simply have to have one of those squirrel head waal mounts that is priceless.

Theres something really creepy but nice about that stuff.

Lin said...

Nothing to do with this post:

PopeT, I knew you'd like that macabre art site. Leave it to Phlegmmy to find it! I liked the winged monkey in the fez.

Anonymous said...

Lin, you can make a good story out of any subject. What a talented lady you are.

Lin said...

Ah-ha! I don't think it's my story-telling as much as you starting to get hooked on BIG horsepower. I can see it now; Babzy saying "Pwah, forget those puny D8s, bring on the D12s - I'm looking for a REAL HP thrill tonight!" Yep, I recognize the early symptoms all right.

Babzy! Where are the heart-shaped glasses on your pumpkin avatar?!?

simon said...

I love it! its amazing to watch and experienced opperator use these machines.

I witnessed one working in the State Forests- because of the environment they are not allowed to rip up and down a mountain side but rather along its length. This puts the machine right on the critical roll over angle, I watch one opperator slide side ways down a rock shelf and continue un ruffled by this.. Needless to say I nearly S*& !!!

BTW Grouser refers to the individual plates that make up the tracks...
The width of the tracks determine the ground pressure.. Swamp dozers had W-i-d-e, smoother grousers...

:o)

Lin said...

Simon, I am also in awe of how these seasoned operators handle these monsters. I did ask him if he was going to ride 'the wall of death', that high berm left after he finished incising deep into the back area. He said that their well pits were far more steep. The very idea of rolling one of these made me woozy.

'Grouser' as one plate makes sense in this context since he used it as a plural as opposed to one singular track. Thanks! - you will make me a terminology expert yet.