Rather than the usual homestead tales, this is just going to be a hodge-podge news update for friends and family. If you have stopped by a few times in the past, you're already considered friends so don't wander away unless you want to!
.
.The above photo was taken at 5:30PM this afternoon, looking West from the Rat. As Virgil said, the sun has changed places with the moon in their trails across the sky and so it is the sun which skips along the mesa on our south, dipping early into hiding now. The shadows and the absence of direct sunlight bring the quick drop in temperatures. Standing on the Rat's front porch at this hour, you can feel the chill beginning to ride up your back. From now until Spring, it will be below freezing before 11:00PM. Our outdoor working times will become shorter and more urgent and disciplined now.
We have already had a night with a low of 10 degrees. By this latest unintentional experiment, we have now established that the water facilities within an addition without doors yet WILL freeze at that temperature. Sometimes we need such pressing conditions to shift into high gear since we are still enjoying a certain degree of intentional irresponsibility.
The 'build your own door from scratch' project is proceeding nicely. We couldn't buy 'off the rack' doors because of the low wall heights of the addition and we had put off the project since the demise of the big Kawasaki generator which had mysteriously come up lame with a stripped spark plug hole after it had been pressed into general service when the Honda generator died.
The solution to my table saw's big amp needs was a cable which links the output of TWO Honda's running simultaneously. Yes, we got fed up and bought a second Honda EU3000. Mark cabled them together and the big saw fired up nicely without stalling out either Honda. I spent the next few hours cutting door pieces which would overlap to make good solid door frames when assembled. Two by four frames with one inch foam insulation, 7/16ths sheathing on both faces, these buggers are going to be SOLID!
.
.In this photo from the porch looking East, you can see the rising moon above the mesas if you look carefully. If you have been following along for a while, you can also see that a portion of fence has disappeared, along with the chico and sage beyond it. Mark cleaned out this whole area over to Quig's new circular driveway to accommodate a couple of new buildings that we just ordered! Yesh! Yesh! Yesh! NEW buildings on the way! Can you tell that I am, ohhh, just a little excited? They probably won't arrive until New Years given the builder's backlog but the vistas of long suppressed imagination are suddenly opening up once more. The ability to unload the rest of the moving trailer looms, the prospect of having my various work shops re-established, too. I am just short of delirious with the possibilities and that has been a feeling long absent for me. I am one of those people who need those feelings, needs a place of their own to work, repair and create. It is so close now.
Of very recent news: I have perpetually warned Mark not to use his hand as a mallet. It is such a tempting thing to do rather take five minutes to find the proper tool. No ... he's just fine. It was I who broke my own rule and might have broken my hand in the process. Oh, the shame of it all. And it has slowed down our projects accordingly. As I watched Mark from the sidelines today, he would still bash the occasional piece into place with the heel of his hand and I would grimace painfully but empathetically. He is still a very large cat when it comes to subtle torment, methinks.
.
28 comments:
New buildings hey, sounds like fun. I wish we had winters that cold here.
Those buildings will mean a bleak universe sprouting sudden serious and fruitful global warming, PopeT. I can't wait.
Nah, don't envy these cold winters - it will get down to minus 15F or less before we are done. You need A LOT of cats and dogs piled on to get through those kind of nights.
I'm marveling at the difference between your temps and ours, Lin. It has to be the altitude...all y'all are a lot higher than we are.
We rarely see temps below zero. It has happened, but it's danged rare. And I'm danged glad about it, too. So far our lows have hovered in the mid- to low-30s...I don't think we've had our first freeze yet. I'm impatient for that to arrive...coz it literally decimates the fly population. Such a good thing, that.
Honestly, those shots look like something from the Mars Rover! Where is the green...the trees...I'm not sure I would last long out there in "no man's land!"
Enjoyed the pictures immensely. Beautiful view. I would imagine the star show at night is also quite spectacular! Very glad to hear you're getting new buildings. Will they be attached to the rat in any way or completely separate?
Be careful with that hand and what about the staph? Have you all heard about the bit but?
Had to correct my typing error. It is called the big bug or super staph.
Buck, it's definitely altitude which makes the difference but that's a good thing come summer. We rarely hit 100 degrees and the nights cool off to reasonable temps after sunset.
You're right about the first frost getting rid of the flies. Other than the odd pesty hornet, it's been great here for the last month.
Mushy, it's really not as stark as it looks in those photos. Plenty of green still hiding out there in the shadows. Seems like people either get hooked on it or they don't, with very few benign reactions in between. It's just that kind of place, I guess.
JAC, On moonless nights, it's like having your own private planetarium since we don't have light pollution unless a drilling rig is lit up.
The new buildings will form an 'L' off from the front of the Rat so the road view will much longer than it is now. They won't be genuinely connected but they will more or less look like it.
So what's this 'bit but' all about? You've got us curious now.
Thanks for the clarification, JAC. Yes, we've been seeing articles on it all over the place lately. So far so good here though.
LIn: We haven't been that cold yet but we are starting to get colder every day. In January or February we usually get a couple of days of -40c to -50c.
Great to hear the new buildings are coming, It will certainly make it much easier for you to work.
Why did you use your hand as a hammer? Silly girl.
How is the infection by the way?
My God, woman! How big of a motor you slingin' on that table saw? Sounds more like a "buck" saw for firewood!
Cold-spell caught ya' off-guard, did it? Mine's a-comin' soon---I done test-fired my furnace this week! So far, my "pre-winter-take-off-check" has come out OK....!
Ya kn ow, Bruno, the motor isn't all that big but a real cold-start just sucks the amps out of a place. On real cold mornings out in the barn, it used to kill the breaker all the way back to the house. It's a quirky cable flex drive and I do wonder if the cold lube in the cable compounds that hard start-up. I love the machine but, like everything else I seem to own, it really is quirky.
You actually already tested your furnace already? Bruno, you are amazingly disciplined!
Alphonse, I can't wait for those new buildings to get here!!! I have been longing for such a moment since we arrived, it's kind of like life has been on hold since we packed up.
Yeh, I get the big numb-numb award for that stunt. Mark did it again today, even announcing it before doing his mallet hand thing, just to make a point ... and make me wince.
:o)
This is Belle wondering what crafts you'll perform in the workshops. I'm a lazy crafter as I'm a lifetime knitter. I remember cold nights in Reserve at the trailer I had the great good fortune to care for and take weekend visits to while my friends (the owners) were still in the Army. It was built the year I was born ---the great, good year 1950!!! Belle
Belle, I so wish I had learned to knit ... and crochet. My passion is restoring lights. It is what I do well for some reason and enjoy best. But I will also start some wood working, antique repair and restoration work again for this place. If there's any time left-over, I just might start on bike restorations again, too. I used to love doing that so much before life got too busy, rough and complicated.
Do you think that trailer is still alive out near Reserve somewhere? It's got to be a classic (like us) by now!
Ooooh, chilly! I'm such a wimp compared to you and yours.. you are both human tornado's, it makes me ache just reading about what you two get up to. Good lck with the building hon.
Shrinky, your winters are so much more chilling with that humidity. Never felt so cold as I did in the UK in winter. These winters can get cold but don't creep into your bone marrows permanently.
What a beautiful clear sky...
Goddess, when the skies are sunny here (which they are most of the time), you can see blue forever. Sometimes you find yourself standing there, looking all around and saying "Wow, is this cool or what?"
I love dry humor. Laughed out loud at: "...we have now established that the water facilities within an addition without doors WILL freeze at that temperature."
Apparently you have forgotten your shop teacher's admonition to "always use the right tool". Bet your achy breaky hand will remind you in the future?
considering you're practically on Colorado ya gotta put up with cold stuff. I just turn the thermostat up and put on warm slippers. Hehehehe.
Cat! You are about the fifth person we know in NM who 'gets' dry humor. I've gotten myself into plenty of trouble with some already who don't get it at all. Curiously enough, the Indians that we have met DO get it ... and appreciate it.
I wasn't allowed to take shop (being a girlie and all) so I have an excuse, dontchya know! I had to learn how to maim myself all by my lonesome.
Go ahead, tell us all about cranking up that thermostat ... CAT! grin
Drip drip drip drip - that's the sound of our winters. Moose will freeze his buns long before I will.
Lin, I couldn't take shop class, either. We had to take home economics. I'll never forget the shame of baking muffins with tunnels. Got crap for that. The good part is the boys from shop were forced to eat all our cooking and baking or we wouldn't go out with them. hahahahaha
Oh, Babzy, didn't Home Ec suck? Granted, I learned how to tell a fresh egg from the stale ones we always get in the stores but I could have figured out sewing on my own from what they taught us. The best time we had was when I smuggled in pints of '50' so that we could make beer brownies and serve them to all the teachers. Those got the rave reviews, too!
Cool! ER, uh, COLD!!! Brrrr! I felt cold just reading that post - forgot how cold it gets at night in those high, dry climes. It's cooling off here a bit, slowly but surely, but still too slowly for my taste.
Congrats on the impending arrival of your new buildings. I know exactly what you mean about needing your creative space-- I do, too.
Phlegmmy, I'm NOT going to wish this quick colder season on you but I know how you would appreciate something a little colder by now. We are definitely sleeping better with these colder nights now.
I CANNOT wait for the new buildings! Dreams are often made of much less. It's like personal sanity and Nirvana finally returning.
Once again, beautiful. You guys amaze me, all the time. And your pictures are great. The desert is stunning. I don't know if I could live there ether, but it's beautiful. The most thrilling place I ever saw was the desert of Jordan. Looked like a mat painting from a movie. The Grand Canyon, from the inside, is what I think about when I see your shots.
Post a Comment