Retrospect: Late October 2007
.
The sun out here in the high desert does a marvelous job of changing the views in significant ways, not only by the season but throughout the hour. My example below is of a favorite view of mine when I stand on the porch.
I love to gaze across the creek to the far mesa wall and ponder the red and black streaks on this one particular rock formation. If you look beneath the yellow dot in the upper half of the image below, you will see a very unusual triangle of red color. To me, it was an unlikely shape for Nature to form for no particular reason and it held no end of intrigue. Then, late one afternoon last autumn, I happened to look across the creek again (see the lower half of the photo). That triangle was NOT part of the rock face at all but a triangular obelisk of rock unto itself. Could that really be?
.
.I happen to be feeling pretty good today so whether you're ready or not, put on your most comfortable hiking shoes because we're going to round up 'the boys' (Ming and Beautiful Dave the Cat) and head across the canyon to find out what's really over there; the placid contemplation of this mystery is about to end.
.
Once we cross the ups and downs of the sage and chico flats and find a reasonable path down through the steep banks to the creek bottom, it will be surprisingly hard to find the right path up to the target area on the other side. Expect one or two false starts as the ledge at the foot of the mesa runs out abruptly due to massive erosion. We will have to back track down into the creek bed and start all over again. All that huffing, puffing and cat herding for nothing so far.
.
Finally we're all up and headed in the right direction. When the scale changes from far distance to 'in your face' macro, it is hard to determine if you have really found the right spot. The bluffs of the creek won't allow for back stepping to regain any part of our initial perspective. Here is a prime example above. You can see Beautiful Dave (in the lower third of the photo) watching Ming (center of photo) who is about to explore the dark crevice in front of him. On the right of that crevice is our target, the red triangle rock! Who would have guessed so at this point?.
The reward! Once we are able to stand at the base of my elusive triangle rock, we look up and see this incredibly ancient and weather-worn petroglyph. Did you feel that little shiver of delight run down your back as you glanced up and saw it, too? Look! One, two, THREE little Indians plus, I dunno, a critter of some sort to their immediate right. Was this rock part of a larger intact work at one time? Did you find your imagination trying to paint in the missing artist scribing away? Did you wonder if they had lived on that narrow bank in front of the rock or were just migrating through with the seasons? What was he saying?While the rocks mutely testify to a past unfathomably ancient, there is something far more moving in finding a message or expression from a fellow human standing in the same exact spot as you but half a millennium before. There are so many messages in the rocks which we have yet to rediscover. Perhaps you will be right here with us when we do.
.
.
36 comments:
Wow,, that was a fun trip. Your place is so friggin' magical! I love it. I'd bet the critter is a dog. Is it me or are those ears floppin' at the top? It's cool to think that a small hunting party would have stopped there, maybe waiting for migrating game, and that one guy would start tapping out those figures, like a kid signing his name to the side of a bus parked on his street. "Here I am world. Note my passing." It's got to be wonderful to be surrounded by such beauty and history. Thanks for takin' us along.
FHB, I knew I would get the history teacher going on this one.
I couldn't tell if those were stylized ears or antlers myself. Did any of the carvers depict proportion accurately? Did they manage to domesticate dogs from old coyote stock? I find this all so very fascinating. They always raise so many more questions than answers.
I know you will love it here!
Let me interpret again here for you:
DO NOT STAND HERE...FLASH FLOOD WILL WASH YOU AWAY!
I love those photos Lin!
I find that where I live, the whole holds all the beauty rather than individual details, whereas there, the beauty of the area is in the details and not the whole. Make sense?
Mushy, that's a profound observation as to defines the beauty of both. It is definitely the details within this terrain which blow me away. I find myself continually stopping in awe as though each one were part of a vast sculpture exhibit.
You bet, there are a few of those flash flooding places that you don't want to get too settled in to.
Thanks for the excursion into times long past, you are lucky people to have that much history all around you.
Cool photos and I hope that your travelling companions received a suitable reward upon your return to the RAT.
Lotsa people pay lotsa good money just to visit where you and Mark live, Lin. (Which isn't lost on you for a millisecond, I'm sure.) Thanks for sharing the exquisite details of your world with us!
As for beauty being either in "the whole vs. the details" thing, I'd have to think on that for a bit. My knee-jerk reax is it's the whole. Case in point: the NM night sky, free from light pollution and absolutely LITTERED with stars and constellations one simply cannot see elsewhere. The first time you see that takes your very breath away. "And you know there may be more..."
The notion is that dogs were domesticated in the old world and then brought over from Asia across the land bridge. And no, usually there isn't what we would call perspective, with people and animals shown in their actual sizes. Much of what was depicted then was stylized.
And I understand what Mushy's saying about the big picture and the little picture. When I went to the desert in the early 90s, Jordan and Egypt, I was amazed by the beauty of the scenery from afar, but how butt ugly much of it is up close. It looked like some giant had piled up a bunch of mud clots. I need to scan some of those pictures and show them to you. Thing is, when you look at the side of a canyon, there may be some object of beauty that will jump out at you out of all that monotonous rock.
At the same time, my experience in Arkansas on canoe trips gave me a similar feeling. The woods have a special beauty when seen from a distance, but then there's a special beauty in seeing the trees up close, in the right season, or in seeing a stream flowing by, or a leaf that sits on a moss covered log.
dba, the immense history of this place never ceases to leave me in awe, perhaps in part, because so little has been turned under by modern man other than the gas field's brutal presence.
Oh! Oh! You just inspired me as to the next installment - the return trip to the Rat! Thank you!
Buck, you are absolutely right - I never forget that there are people out there who can't afford a getaway but might find a moment's relief in following along with us. I have been in that position many times so the least I can do is share some dreams come true and some yet to happen.
How could I have forgotten to include those endless black night skies? By George, you are right - we might have both the micro and macro covered in one helping here in NM. Whatever it is has me helplessly enthralled - sounds like you are, too. And don't it just feel so darned good?
FHB, thanks for the background! Mind you, that won't help my deciphering these rock messages one bit if perspective is right out the window. Given my nature, I will have a devil of a time shifting to purely symbolic, schematic and likely bardic. You will see what I mean when I show some more rock etchings down the road. I'd be inclined to journey back into time just to smack the carver in the head and say "No ... a big horn sheep is WAY bigger than that! Now erase that and start over again. And put some 3D perspective in while you're at it. What? Oh, never mind, just hand me that carving rock and I'll show you."
You're definitely reinforcing the thought that Buck injected on the wide angle out here. NM seems to have both the vast and miniature covered in extremely intense and personally memorable ways. I now long for my old SLR with the wide angle lens because I cannot capture the intensity of each small surrounding with the cameras I have now. But maybe that wouldn't be enough either. There is this encapsulating enormity to what you feel when you find yourself in one distinctly awesome new setting after another. I wish I knew how to describe, to share it but I am at a loss for suitable words for now.
Thanks for your examples of vast versus detail beauty. You guys are leading me off into some wonderful debate and analysis of the physical here and now.
I like how FHB described it... Magical!
I have to dream that some day I might get to visit a place like that.
It's pretty impressive seeing ancient tagging on rocks in what is now a largely uninhabited piece of land.
Graffiti is not appreciated here in the city and I think I might talk Mayor Marty into sending some of the rascals up to your place. You culd teach them about perspective with your eolith tool.
And there are places near by Albq where one can admire the heaven's stars.
Waiting for the return trip, now.
Craver, it is one of the more 'magical' places that I have certainly found myself in. It seems so very old and mysterious, more so at twilight or at night in the headlights.
If you're up to some rigorous hiking, I'm here. I love to have someone to explore with - I suspect I burned Sally out for good.
Cat, we have every age of tagging but the present. Not that I am complaining though so don't be sending them out here with spray cans. I might consider it if they pick up a rock and do it the good old fashioned way - with a hard rock. More so if they have something to say about certain big oil companies perhaps. Smithsonian ran a piece about the work of 2 graffiti artists' work featured in the National Portrait Gallery. Hey, some of these guys are really good.
I'm exhausted from the hike. I wonder if you could interpret the petroglyphs from a hieroglyphics book, or at lest come close.
As for the part and the whole I think it depends on our perspective of what we are looking at.For example, look at a full moon on a cold clear night- beautiful. Then look through a telescope- different but just as beautiful.
Moose - don't collapse on us yet, we haven't even started the trek back yet!
Do you think there is some sort of petroglyph interpretation book out there?
I'm so glad Mushy threw in this perspective issue. It's like he threw in a bog of all new bridge mix into the same old bowl. So how do you rate Alberta on the 'close up' or 'far away' scale?
wow. wonderful and gorgeous-- I just love those petroglyphs. I think you need to make your mark there, too, for you are a part of that place as much as anyone who lived 600 years ago. Plus, you can invent the oil rig petroglyph motif and the RAT motif-- you'll drive future historians bonkers!
Wonderful, Lin -
The Mystery Of The Red Triangle Rock.
I've always said you rock!
that place is just magical. And the way you spoke of it simploy transportive.
lovely scenery, beautiful pictures...
Even though I live near the ocean, mountains, and forests, my preferred view is of the clouds. They're always changing and I can see fluffy petroglyphs of my own imagination in the clouds.
Lin, yoo shor doo rite fancy.
I had the good fortune (or misfortune, since I went there only once) of visiting the Southwestern USA, I loved it. Your story brings the magic of that ancient landscape alive. Thank you for sharing, and David McMahon for pointing me over here.
Best wishes,
Merisi
Phlegmmy ... you're being that naughty influence again, you know. Sooo ... should we start a contest for the best petro/logo for the Rat and the rigs? As you say; something that will drive far-in-the-future researchers nuts? We've got enough privately owned rock faces to do it on, too. You so wicked! I LOVE it!
David, I should have known that you would have to throw a word zinger in there. I am so glad that you said I rock as opposed to something about being 'stoned'. I know it crossed your mind - 'fess up, devious lad!
Well, Missy LinM, you know where to find us when you want to cross the canyons and explore in person with the cats and I. Yogi is always welcomed, too - Brou and Daisy would love it!
Sandi, thank you for finding me! I just read your 'about me' and the current part of your writings. I'm hooked and coming back to visit as often as I can (granted, that is a little limited with our generator powered life). Love that calico, too!
Ohh, Babzy ... if you want to watch clouds, this is the place! The Navajos even made special symbols to make sure the clouds were included in their weaving. The clouds are still so important to life out here.
And stop making me blush, girl!
Merisi, I just returned from your blog. I had seen your richly flavored avatar over at Simon's often and it was likely wise that I had not followed it back to you before. Those stunning vignettes of Vienna are causing my gall bladder to grumble merely at the possibilities. Simply so viscerally enchanting! Thank you for finding me here. If you loved this desert upon one visit, then surely it will expect you back again - remember that.
Amazing find! What an eye you have!
Thanks for coming by, Am'n2deep! You're probably not all that far away from us in many respects. I particularly enjoyed your blog thoughts on chi and energy - they certainly do exist and can be worked with. Please do keep in touch, okay?
Some spots are best seen far at a distance( Rockies) and when you get there t, the close-ups in some places are spectacular.
We won't mention what the oil patch has done to Fort MacMurray area.
I was gonna throw in one of those "knee-jerk" replies, but it appears that MUSHY beat me to it, way-y-y-y back up there! And I'm havin' a heck of a time keeping up with you---I thought you were "on-hiatus" for a while?
Oh well, once again, it's "better late than never", for me...!
Bruno, I keep doing the same thing myself - it's like showing up at a big frat party 6 hours late with a 6 pack of Gatorade. Don't worry about it, I guess we're both just hopeless. It's STILL good to hear from you!
You didn't read the part where I said that I would go like mad on the days that were good to make up for the bad days (maybe it was buried in the comments section).
Awww, Moose, you just had to mention the oil patch, didn't ya? They sure know how to mess up a stunning natural view. Seems like they are getting a little better about it but their old plant STILL sucks in blatant and painful ways. oh sigh
OKay, I'll set my wicked mind to it. No telling what I'll come up with!
Yee-haw ... I just knew I could count on your devious mind to come up with some nouveau petro designs! And I presume you will be helping me fiendishly scribe them into future history?
Post a Comment