Saturday, September 29, 2007

Privy Counsel - Strangers in the Night

.
Retrospect: September 2006


How did that Sinatra tune go?

Strangers in the night,

Two lonely peepers

Staring at the sight ...

...... ... or something like that

Okay, so I left off the potty tales with noises in the bushes around the outdoor throne, followed by the recent story about strange noises in the barn . These events were within a couple of days of each other and both occurred after darkness had settled in. I'm thinking that commenter JennyE came the closest to guessing the identity of the unseen culprit(s) but we may never know for sure one way or the other, quite thankfully.

A day or so after those events occurred, I headed out for a walk and stopped by the little forever puddle about 30 feet east of the moving trailer. I noticed an unusual splat of dark in the grass and took a closer look.



Hmmm ... juniper berries and all sorts of half-digested things that gave some wild diner a real good run for their efforts. I immediately thought of raccoons but this offering had a little more serious volume to it.

I took a careful hop over some open water and came around through the sage to the mesa side of the bog. What's this? Look at that heel! That was certainly no coyote passing through nor was that scat anything passing through a coyote! Fortunately, this was long before Brou and Daisy had come to live with us.



Before the next rain could obliterate the tracks, I brought some plaster of Paris over from the Rat and made castings of the prints. I decided that if I ever get around to casting my own stepping stones someday, I wanted to include those prints in some of them.

Virgil and Earl both stopped by that week and confirmed my thoughts - that we had been visited by a bear. Earl was very concerned that it had made itself at home so close to the Rat. He suspected that it might have been a nuisance bear which had been relocated from a populated area. Fortunately, that was the last time we saw or heard anything of the like again. T-o-u-c-h wood.

If nothing else, it made for great conversation when Slim arrived back that winter with his cattle. And as usual, Slim was up to sharing a good story of his own. Now you gotta know Slim to really appreciate the telling of it. He's got that charming boyish intensity that takes you right along with him. He leaned forward, elbows on knees and looked at each of us intently eye-to-eye as he began:

"Yeah, I had me a run-in with a bear once. Had cattle up in the mountains, noticed something not right and promised myself to check it out first thing in the morning. Well ... I had too much of a good time that night and woke up a little ... you know ... under the weather? So anyway ... I haul my draggin' butt into the pick-up and head back up there. I get out at the gate just about the time a big ol' bear wanders out from the trees, couldn't a been 30 feet away! Well, I'll tell ya, I never lost a hangover so fast in my life as when I realized that I had only one bullet in my pistol and a pocketknife and that was it." We fell into uncontrollable hysterics when he did a quick wide-eyed double take as he concluded "Just then the bear took a couple of steps in my direction and, I ain't kidding ya, I sh-t mehself!!!"

Now here's the strange part; it wasn't until trying to write this down tonight that I realized that we never did hear the end of that story! Last thing I remember about it was me sliding down the wingback unto the floor, holding my aching sides and wiping the tears out of my eyes when suddenly I smelled the lasagna and garlic bread in the oven and realized that supper was probably ready a long half hour before. At my mention of food being well beyond ready, they stampeded past me to the table and the story got trampled along with me in the rush. Remind me to have him finish that story when he shows up for the winter again.

Next story? It'll be back to current events (as in - "there's never a dull moment around here"). This little photo snip below is a hint for Bruno of what's coming up. We're talking SERIOUS guy fun plus ... sigh ... the usual "Whuh, Geez, who woulda thought THAT would happen?"


.

36 comments:

Alex L said...

looks like a back hoe to me, or some other sort of heavy machinery...

Buck said...

Whoa! Bears! Scary... (but those track castings WILL make nice stepping stones)

One assumes this week's doctor's visit was good?

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Yes, we need to hear the end of that tale, but I'm sure it won't be as funny as the middle part was!

*Goddess* said...

Those are some damn big Pooh bear paws..yikes. I'd be peeing in a bucket before I'd chance meeting up with him;)

Lin said...

PopeT, yep, that shade of yellow tells you something right there and the higher the D number, the bigger the fun it's going to be!

Lin said...

Buck, I agree, those castings could make for some really neat cement stones. I would probably revive my old fiberglass skills to make a cement form.

The doc visit seems like yet another non-event but I will give his ideas a chance first. Hopefully I will remember to do a more in depth update of that before I start going on about the next big event.

Lin said...

Mushy, I'm thinking the same thing - that the rest of the story couldn't possibly be as funny as that first half. But I suspect that he's got plenty more to tell - he's like a one-man show when he gets going.

Lin said...

Goddess, this is definitely one of those cases where complete ignorance was bliss. That bucket of yours became a big priority right after this discovery, absolutely!

BRUNO said...

Just hangin' here, waitin' on the CAT! Might this be related to the aforementioned "borrowed" piece of wild, on the loose equipment?

Thanks for thinkin' about me! It's nice to have four or five friends in the world---although another to make it SIX might be handy as well, "in the end".....!

Lin said...

Eh-heh-heh-heh, Bruno, honest, we had NOTHING to do with that errant big Cat! I even told this operator that he could leave it here without the keys and that I wouldn't even try to hot wire it. He took it with him anyway. Hmmphhh! ... I've been thrown out of far better places, thank you very much.

Aww heck, Bruno, I know we already have six players for your last hand. I bet we even already have twelve if you're going to go out as a double wide load - so don't ever worry about such things - we got your back covered, my friend.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Ooooh, that's scary stuff, bears 'n all - those footprints sent chills through me. I think you are soooo much braver than me - one glimpse of those, and I'd have left a fair deposit behind, meself!!

Lin said...

Oh, Shrink, you would not have - you're far too spunky to be spooked by a little ol' bear! grin

alphonsedamoose said...

sounds like you were caught " bear assed"on this one Lin.

Lin said...

Darn close, Moose, DARN close! And it could have been far more 'em-bear-assing' had the bear been of a surly nature. I think we just plain lucked out this time.

phlegmfatale said...

I will SO be looking forward to learning what happened after he shit himself.

OMG, those bear tracks - creepy! Yeah, I'll re-iterate that it's prolly best not to KNOW what's out there, specially if it's more apt to eat you if you start acting freaked out.

Lin said...

Phlegmmy, I bet if I tell Slim that some hot Texas gal wants to hear the end of the bear story, he'd throw me in the truck to read the maps and tell you in person. These cowboys out here just run that way, dontchya ya know. I love 'em.

No more bears lately - not to worry! Again, touch wood.

phlegmfatale said...

I love a guy with a sense of spontenaity! Yuppers - feel free to tell him he's got a fan club in Dallas!

Anyone around there ever cook up some bear brisket?

Catmoves said...

Strange. I've seen those tracks around Area 51. They are definitely NOT bear tracks. Keep your eyes on the skies. And be sure to visit Roswell.
I found an ad you might be interested in. Might be able to get them on your next shopping trip:

GLOW IN THE DARK STAIR TREADS (Set of Four)

Store Price: $19.99
DEAL PRICE: $9.99

What an ingenious idea... This is one of those items that
just makes sense!

These non slip treads not only help to prevent you from
slipping but they glow in the dark to help you find the
stairs in the dark. Easy to install self-adhesive backing.
Indoor or outdoor use. The open design allows dirt, snow,
and rain to drain away easily.

Details:
- Set of 4 is included
- See your way in the dark
- Each measures roughly: 7" wide x 15 1/2" long
- Non-skid safety surface Self-adhesive backing

Grab a set or two while we still have stock. You'll love 'em.
http://pd.gophercentral.com/r/120/a/582/l/jg1o67

It says they work outdoors, too. I didn't see any claims about scaring off strange beings, though.

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEhehehehe!
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
HEEEEEEEEEEHEHEHEHEEE!
A Bear mayde him poo his pants!!!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Oh, stoppit, I've got a stitch!
HEEEEEEEE!

The Atavist said...

I just caught up on your posts. My life seems positively mundane, what with bears and whatnot in your life. Keep those fascinating stories coming!

Lin said...

Phlegmmy, I will most certainly tell him since it will make his day and then some but, lemme tell ya, these cowboys don't need much encouragement to hit the round up trail!

Lin said...

Cat! The toes were too short and too many for those kinds of critters (although the old timers have seen plenty of those jobbies out here). You need to buy the newest edition of "A Compleat Guide to New Mexico Stranger Critter Watching" - I wouldn't leave home without it.

Ohhh ... I gotta check out those glow-in-the-dark stair treads! Now THAT would be a handy item around here. Heck, I'd be inclined to put them on the new privy as well.

Lin said...

b.,t.bear, you hafta see these bears out here to appreciate that. These are Wild West bears and they would chew you up and spit you out if you offered them a nose hug.
Here - you need to go see this news item - it's the bear truth! These guys are tough but a little misadventurous.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/30/wbear130.xml

Lin said...

Atavist ... are you SURE you have checked out all the fauna around your new haven? I think you will be coming up with some great stories yourself in the future. But I also bet you will love every minute of it. DAMHIK!

Craver Vii said...

Awesome prints! They'll make great castings. Too much concrete around here to find such a thing. (whew!)

Lin said...

Craver - that's the problem with civilization - they keep da Bears in concrete stadiums! You'll never find good prints at that rate.

Anonymous said...

CRIKEY! A BEAR! EEEEEK!

Lin said...

That was my thought, too, Babzy, once the puzzle pieces fit together! EEEEEEKK!!!

simon said...

oooooooo! a D8R. Am i to assume that this Crawler tractor has indirect drive? :o)

Re computers:- I have a friend (who will remain anon) who got a new laptop, put all the files from the old one onto it, got a beer, opened it, turned around,and his sleeve caught the beer bottle, it then spilt as he walked away...completley ruining the laptop...

Lin said...

Simon, I don't know the proper term for it but I bet I know what you're getting at here with the drive since there was something about the beast's track configuration which fascinated me. When I got some answers, I became even more enchanted with the concept. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here though.

Lin said...

P.S. Simon - that story about drowning a brand new laptop just floored me. I presume 'anon' gave the replacement a dry christening instead? Gads ... what a horror tale!

simon said...

re the computer:- I simply laughed when he told me...I just had this vision of my mate setting himself up for a good night.. then returning to see the beer bottle and the ruin unit.

Indirect drive:- Caterpillar dozers sometime haver indirect drive ie the drive is actually positioned at the top of the tracks making them look triangular..

So the track angles up to the rear of the cabin ( am I making sense?)

Why do they do this?..glas you asked....

Direct drives take a lot of Shock through the tracks and therefore it is argued they require more servicing...

Indirect removes the drive from the direct line of stress, so they can do what they do best... drive the tracks... :o)

Lin said...

Simon, ohhh ... I suspected that was YOU who would remain anonymous in the great laptop drowning. That does make it much easier to cope with and retell!

By George, I bet we ARE talking about the same drive feature then, the one which has me so taken in the next post. Is it? Is it?!! It must be, by your description and the way Quig extolled the advantages of this system over the old. It really does seem a vast step forward all way round.

Unknown said...

That's it. You have to buy some bear repellant, and get some kind of solar lights out there....

I can put up with most animals running around outside my house in the dark, but bears, I can live without. I like them, but don't want to live with them.

Always look for tracks. I've been doing that since I was a kid trying to capture hobo's.

FHB said...

Yea, I think as soon as you have a load in your shorts, and no time to be dainty about how you walk around, just about all the fun ends. Not pretty. Huge fun for everyone around you, but no fun for Skippy.

Lin said...

JM Deb, you know, after JennyE's comment about how some bear broke in to a lady's kitchen and kicked her butt in a permanent way, I'm also losing that loving feeling quick about having bears hanging around. So far, so good this Fall. The next one might turn into several tasty bear roasts if we get the drop first. Otherwise ... you know ... some days the bear eats you.