I was hoping to post this continuation much sooner, my apologies.
After Thursday night's peculiar electrical happenings, we set about first thing Friday morning to find answers. After we both did that psychological cringe at the very thought, Mark fired up the generator. So far, so good. I manned the electrical panel in the hallway, ready to do the click/clack test through the breakers while Mark switched on and stood watch over the bathroom and various other light circuits. We left the evap. cooler off and the bathroom lights came on without any show. Again, so far, so good.
Click, "nope", clack. Click, "kitchen light", clack. And so on down the two rows of breakers. Click, "Nope, keep going", clack. "Uhm, Mark, I just ran out of Clicks here to try." We caught each other's incredulous, somewhat horrified looks of speculation. "Surely not ... hit the main breaker." Click ... the bathroom lights STILL shone. "I'll hit the red emergency switch in the hall then." Nothing.
Since the evap. cooler was more critical in this 100 degree weather than the bathroom lights and much easier to address in terms of access and running new wires, we decided to run new wiring from it directly to the generator panel. Mark turned off the generator and removed the appropriate new siding panel (the recent rat re-siding project) while I tackled the cooler control switch inside. I drew all the connections in rough schematic form and disconnected everything involving a new power feed. As with all such projects, it took considerably longer than we had hoped since we had to find the proper wire and even longer to find a proper heavy duty plug to match the outlet on the generator. I reconnected the switch wires and eventually got them all back into the box which is a little like forcing a full pot of barely cooked linguine into a tea cup. Once the new wire was in place, Mark reinstalled the wall panel and fired up the generator. So far, so good! Later that night, Mark hit the bathroom switch out of habit and ... guess what? Not so good. Nothing had changed. Now we're getting discouraged - that bathroom wiring is going to be a bear to replace, and upsetting now that we have all that nice new drywall finished. This is going to be one of those much avoided projects, I already know that. In the interim, tape over the bathroom switch. Okay, so far so good.
Earlier this week, I switch on the evap. cooler and the motor starts up and then grinds back down in RPM noisily, accompanied by the disturbingly familiar sound and smell of frying wire. I was able to immediately hit the switch. Sniff, sniff, sniff. So far so good. Sniff, sniff, sniff ... still okay. I sleep lightly that night, just in case.
The next morning, I climb up to the roof, glad that the sun has not turned the steel roof into a griddle yet. I figure that I will pull apart the junction box within the cooler itself and check the motor while I am at it. Before I get that far, I discover a foot long section of exposed wire with a very nice burn through about an inch long. That would certainly explain the crispy critter smell from the night before. Still, I find it puzzling that the burn spot is not at any point of possible chafing or touching anything at all. Perhaps it was some annoying Valkyrie perched up there like a gargoyle, picking away at the exposed wire with a claw or two for vile amusement. Given that a lot of Indians refuse to come up our road at night, I suppose it is a vague possibility. Whatever, it was obvious that we would have to replace this wire as well and I would be fighting with that ghastly control switch wiring AGAIN. Oh joy of joys, especially if Mark had to remove that panel again or we had to disturb the cooler in the process.
I was able to free up the wire in the box and connect a new run of wire to its ends. With Mark up on the ladder outside, the new wire pulled through without any hang-ups. So far, so good. Why do I bother to say that any more? I got back up on the now much hotter roof and realized that we were one wire short in the sheath. We had to back feed the works again and refeed it with an additional wire taped on (just like the original had been done - DOH!). What a classic cluster. In the meantime, Mark cut a few lengths of plastic pipe which I could feed over the new wire to protect it. Needless to say, I was not happy burning my buttocks on the now really hot roof while reconnecting wires and reinstalling the junction box. So far so good though! Just don't touch that bathroom light switch, we don't want to deal with THAT mess yet.
Okay, any insights on all of this foolishness yet? The bathroom light circuit was the only one which was responding in this strange manner. Any theories would be much appreciated. Questions? Just fire away. Also, apologies for any typos, etc. but my proof reader has long since gone to bed, completely exhausted.
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
26 comments:
G'day Lin,
Wish I could help with generator trouble - but I can tell you, there was real electricity in tis post!
Keep smiling
David
Not to worry, David, I think most of us are in the same oarless boat when it comes to this sort of electrical mystery. Sorry about the electricity in the writing - it must be because we have our 'shorts' in such a knot over this matter.
David McMahon said this would be the post of the day, so I thought I'd pop in and check it out, and I'm glad I did. The title alone is sheer genius! Sorry for your burning buttocks and all your troubles, but thanks for the robust sense of humor and your willingness to share a good story.
Lin , When you put the drywall up, did you maybe nick a wire with a screw or nail?Also make sure the wiring is grounded in the switch box
Mr. Craver, thank you for coming over to visit! Apparently someone else who spends their vacation in Purgatory can 'get' the humor needed to restore anything larger than a foot locker. I shall be following your exploits henceforth and will be there when you need a chronic old house restorer's encouragement.
Moose,
I've been thinking about the possibility of nicking some wiring while installing the drywall. Remember when Mallory's parents' placed almost burned down because of that? I am sorely tempted to carefully remove that section behind the main panel where the overheads feed down, if only because I have to run some new circuits there eventually anyway.
You're right, I should check for proper grounding while I am at it. I woke up last night, suddenly remembering that I had removed minor vestiges of tape from that bathroom wall switch when we got the place. Now I am thinking that this circuit was always troublesome, even if in an intermittent way i.e. rain related.
You know better than I would, but I wish you the best in getting the electrics all in line. Maybe a chupacabra was on the roof chewing the wire? :P
Thanks, Phlegm, positive wishes really do help. We've seen a couple of strange critters since we've been here but they have been considerably bigger than chupies. Those jobbies prolly hang around up on the mesa top where the small antelope range.
to quote someone much more famous
"I wouldnt give your troubles to a monkey on a rock"
Greetings, Pope Terry
Grin - great quote! It could be that someone mistook me for that monkey - a very reasonable and common mistake at times.
lin, I'm going to solve your problem for you. There will be no need to send money nor a fabulous new car.
Ahem: just buy one (or more) of those battery operated lights the Aussies were peddling to us Yanks a few years back. They ought to be really cheap now.
And when you find the carcass of the thing you fried under the roof, please let us know if it tastes like chicken.
Hi Lin: Just stopped by to say hello on my way to the beach. Have a good day.
Cat, now I regret not following the post Y2K sales on all that stuff. Get this: the guy who bought our old place admitted to buying over 50K worth of y2K supplies. So the non-event goes by and then he's sitting in the other WTC tower when the first plane hit. Says something strange about fate and our best laid plans somehow.
I bet the dogs beat us to any critter who might have gotten fried on the roof. They never tell, they never share.
Babzy, glad you checked in! Was beginning to think that you had absconded with some studly young lifeguard.
Lin, I'd try the wires near the switch for a nick also.
Thanks, Moose, it is certainly worth a try since this place has had over 30 years to accumulate bruises.
I DID abscond with a studly young lifeguard. tee hee
Gawd, Mr. G and I would sooo not make it if we moved to a remote area. We are LOUSY at fixing stuff, and I don't even want to THINK about anything electrical. I'm sure it would end in one of us being fried....
Wonderful to see your fan club growing. Even Craver linked to your wonderful post!
Babzy, then by all means take until September for your new post ... I am s-o-o-o proud of you!
I'm not giving up on you yet, Goddess! Then what you do is buy something new with a warranty like a roomy RV or manufactured cabin so that problems are someone else's to worry about. We run a little frugal and you just get what you pay for.
I just hope your week gets a little less painful as it goes on. Losing a dear little fur friend simply sucks any time.
David, THANK YOU for the heads up on Carver's link! I was over there last night and decided to wait to leave a comment until he got into the dreaded bathroom project. That is certainly one area where I can lend great sympathy and hopefully some comic relief. Thanks for connecting us! You are truly wonderful.
Are you sure the lightning didn't fry your evap. windings, causing a feed-back into your existing wiring? Get a good continuity-tester, and, AFTER YOU TURN THE GENERATOR OFF, of course, go to work, one circuit at a time. When you find the circuit that shows "closed" with the breakers OFF---that's your gremlin, I'll bet!
Sounds just like the way a deep-well submersible pump acts, after being struck.
And by the way---love that kick-ass profile pic!
Bruno, you've just given us a new likely culprit to check out. Tomorrow just might be our big continuity play day. I'll post our findings when we get 'er done. Thank you!
Wuh, Geez, Bruno, I had to come up with a pic as youthful and vibrant as yours!
Post a Comment