Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Chaos, Rains Supreme


"If anything can go wrong, it will." ~ Murphy's Law ~

Keep this Law in mind as you read my account of our latest misadventures over the next few installments. Better still, I came across this following variation of Murphy's Law which is even more suitable, as you will eventually come to see:

"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it."

My sincerest apologies for suddenly disappearing without a trace. I truly, truly mean that. If you are reading about our off-the-grid adventures to get some idea of what you may face when you can finally forge your own similar dreams into reality, then I suppose this is a necessary thing for you to consider. I am no Pollyanna and could not, in good conscience, lead you into thinking that our peaceable kingdom is not without its severe trials. Is it still worth trying? Even after this period of abject misery, I cannot fathom any other place I would rather be. And, believe me, I have had much opportunity of late to give it serious thought.


I can document the beginning of this latest round of disasters precisely on August 2nd because I had just viewed the last blog comments to be vetted, got to the second one from my Atavist, let it through and was in the middle of a reply. Suddenly my computer crashed and the single light in the room started to scale up and down as though some toddler had gotten hold of the rheostat. Mark was in the same situation and we both baled out of the Rat like firemen on call to check on the generator. Not good. It sat there idling so low and jaggedly that it was rocking the entire metal shack like a master Sumo wrestler throwing a heavy 'march/stomp on the spot' tantrum. If you have been following our previous exploits, you already know the drill; kill Mr. Honda's brat, fall back and think (and oh so dread) a little. Then dust off your feelings of futility and despair and start with the logical things. Funny how logic and experience can evade you at some point in extremely high frustration so, being no fool, I always call Red. I am sure he is getting tired of lately only hearing from me when I am at my end of patience and sanity but he always comes through for me. Red is the kind of guy who remains cool under fire, even when his B-52 has just crashed in a rice paddy in very hostile territory. That's just the way he is - a blessing. My father swore by keeping a nanny goat in the stable with his thoroughbreds in case of fire. The nanny goat keeps its sensible head and leads the high-strung horses out of the flames to safety. I never forgot that as an analogy in relation to my own life. So the conversation goes like this; "Hello?" "R...e..d, ... it's L..i..n ..." "Uh-oh ... how's things goin'?" He already knows by the intro and the tone of my voice betraying a severe spike in blood pressure and so now I fill in the details. "You already know the procedures." "Yeah, I know but I am so frigging upset that I figure I will miss something so stunningly obvious ..." "Yeah, I know how that goes, so did ya check this, did you check that yet? And this?" "Check, check ... hmmm ... good point, we'll try that next, what else?" When you are a Type A hothead, there is no better blessing than to A) realize it and B) have a friend like Red to grab you by the back of your collar and settle you back down into some rational thinking.


Suddenly realizing that the gas nozzles of our fuel storage tanks had been sitting throat up in the monsoons like the fabled idiot turkeys looking up with mouths agape in deluges and drowning, we carefully siphoned all the potentially water-contaminated gas out of the generator. I dropped and emptied the carb float bowl next - still no improvement. While in the process of emptying the tank, I noticed a surprising amount of large particles in the tank, those which had mysteriously slipped passed the big nylon filter at the tank neck. By the time we were done looking for water and particle obstructions, I had completely dissected the carb and even blown it out by mouth (our cheesy little latter day 12V compressor was hardly worth engaging and someone had rolled away my decent amp grabber as a freebie before we moved). Still nothing. What I did notice, which confounded a Luddite like myself, was that the throttle was governed by some sort of electronic nubbins at the top of the carb. Now I was well out of my league. AFTER all that first line finagling, Mark called the Honda dealer. His response was both comforting and disturbing; "Nope, this sounds familiar, don't bother trying anything else - it sounds like the main electronic control unit has died." So ... it came down to the dreaded Black Box Death that puts shade cactus mechanics like me to sudden death with no reprieve. How futile, how helpless a feeling.

To be continued


And now I must apologize again to all of our blog friends:

Now that we have connectivity again, I have let all the comments through but I have not addressed each of them individually as I usually do, despite my mother teaching me that all correspondence should be promptly replied to. I don't follow that edict out of any social guilt but because I really enjoy showing my appreciation of other people who care enough to share in our travails. I didn't do it this time around and I think this is my very uncomfortable and reluctant confession that I am not feeling so very well at all so please forgive me this time. You likely have no idea how much your comments completely make our day when the sun chooses not to shine out here. Thank you so for taking this trip with us and urging us ever onwards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Humor of the Day: (observations that I currently find more accurate than humorous)

- If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.

- If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

- Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value.

- Research supports a specific theory depending on the amount of funds dedicated to it.

- It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

- Rule of Accuracy: When working toward the solution of a problem, it always helps if you know the answer. Provided, of course, that you know there is a problem.

- A falling object will always land where it can do the most damage.

- A shatterproof object will always fall on the only surface hard enough to crack or break it.

- A valuable dropped item will always fall into an inaccessible place (down the drain, for example) - or into the garbage disposal while it is running.

- If you use a pole saw to saw a limb while standing on an aluminum ladder borrowed from your neighbor, the limb will fall in such a way as to bend the ladder before it knocks you to the ground.

- The greater the value of the rug, the greater the probability that the cat will throw up on it.

- Your best golf shots always occur when playing alone.

- The worst golf shots always occur when playing with someone you are trying to impress.

- The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train.

- You will always find something in the last place you look.

- It is never in the last place you look. It is in the first place you look, but never discovered on the first attempt.

- After you bought a replacement for something you've lost and searched for everywhere, you'll find the original.

- No matter how long you shop for an item, after you've bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper.

- The other line always moves faster.

- When a broken appliance is demonstrated for the repairman, it will work perfectly.

- Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.

- Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

- No good deed goes unpunished.

- Anything dropped in the bathroom will fall in the toilet.

- Regardless of your frame of reference, things will go wrong anyway.

- Any time you put an item in a "safe place", it will never be seen again.


36 comments:

alphonsedamoose said...

Lin: I am so glad you are back. Mrs. Moose missed you too. Don't apologize. Shit happens.

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say "Welcome Back". Everybody missed you.

Lin said...

Alpohonse, I'll tell ya, it was a LONG half a month without our Moose's friendly love call.

Lin said...

Babzy, it's so good to be back in touch with you again. Those quiet, darkish kerosene nights can suck, even in the best of company.

Alex L said...

Welcome back, again monkey on a rock, hope your genny gets fixed it seems quite an important bit of equipment.

Anonymous said...

From previous blogs and (mis)adventures in the past we could only conclude another event had caused you to go away. We just got worried and had to know you were alive and as good as could be expected. WELCOME BACK!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

"...shade cactus mechanic..." I loved that line in particular.

Oh, you haven't scared me of Lin...I have .357 just for that purpose!

I suppose I'll have to link you and put you in Bloglines, along with the other 85 I have. I may be slow in commenting at times, but I'll eventually make the rounds.

Great writing always draws me in!

FHB said...

Well, also glad your back, and hope everything will come out clean in the end. Yep, it always amazes me how there's always some little thing that keeps things from going just right. Always.

Anonymous said...

Moose, how did you get in ahead of me on the welcome train? I thought I was first in line. hahaha

BRUNO said...

Glad you're not down sick on me, like I was afraid to hear!

So---was the evap pump the culprit of your "poltergeist" of earlier? Or, did you replace it as a "one-step-at-a-time" things?

Exactly how much continuous WATTAGE would you require from your generator? There are quite a few types available that are much less complicated and "sensor-controlled" than the Honda system you mention. And most all of them will hold an acceptable tolerance for 60-cycle current.

Honda touts their engines with a lot of hype! They are, indeed, very good quality, but they, like most every mfg. today, have gone "auto-circuit-controlled" crazy! We need to get back more to the "logic-controlled" manual systems, even if it does lose a bit of efficiency.

Crap!!! I've written you a book here, already! You know where I am! If ya' need even MORE fertilizer for your cactus, come on over...!

Catmoves said...

Glad you're back neighbor. My commiserations on that *(&*&(%# generator, too.
My nickel's worth: I have lost more things in "safe places" than I will admit to.

Lin said...

Hi Pope T, yep, that generator is an absolute numero uno priority piece. Someday when we get a LOT of other things done first, we will be able to set up our solar components but, for now, that gen is what keeps the monkey on the rock from flinging dung at every passerby and the world in general.

Lin said...

Sue, thanks for the welcome back. If we disappear again like this, you can probably figure on it being generator related a-g-a-i-n as opposed to something truly dire ... touch wood.

Lin said...

Mushy, I am so glad that FHB was able to twist your arm to stop by. I have enjoyed your writings and particularly your book teaser pages immensely (but I miss 'Air Cops'!). My story times out in the boonies are miserable without some well-written blog material to read.

GOOD ... glad the Longfellow snake didn't heeby-jeeby you off for long. I was thinking of something more in the double barrel category for rattlers but I know that Bruno would whack me for ruining a lot of good rattle-steaks.

Lin said...

FHB, the hard part was missing out on all the latest antics of my blog buds; "Is FHB back from his trip to Mushy's?" "They had to do some good catfish." and "Did they find a good biscuit and gravy place, too?"

Lin said...

Babzy, donthcya know that you can't outrun a bull moose? And by the time you hear Number One Most Powerful Moose Love Call, you'd better already be outta the starting blocks.

Lin said...

Bruno, we'd been tossing around the idea of a spare cooler motor for a while anyway so we just went ahead and replaced it. I took a continuity tester (my big and only expertise in electrics) and both units tests out with identical responses. Yeah, I know, it's kinda like unsocking your left foot to show you how swollen your small toe on the right really is. Not like the results gave me any great and firm sense of relief but, so far so good (touch wood). Darn right that I will be knocking at your blog door when another surprise presents itself.

david mcmahon said...

Welcome back, Lin,

``Shade cactus mechanic'' - genius. Pure genius.

Love the reference to the nanny goat and the thoroughbreds!

Lin said...

Cat, thanks for the reunion kudos, it feels great to be back prowling the neighborhood.

That line about hiding things in 'a safe place' is great, isn't it? I occasionally combine it with that one about finding the original lost item only AFTER you've bought a replacement. I find the old one when I go to put the new one away in 'a safe place'. Been to estate auctions where everyone is asking "Why would a guy have 14 electric drills?" We know, don't we? They were all put away in safe places until the liquidators cleaned out every nook and cranny.

Lin said...

G'day, David!
Nah ... not really genius, more an observation of reality I suspect. This place hones such carnal awareness. Those shade cactus will 'rear' their ugly heads again prominently when I get around to the progression of effluence realities out here. This is a vital subject near and dear to my ... uhm ... heart. No, perhaps make that my mind's location.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh lin, if you ever catch me moaning again, you have my full permission to kick me long and hard in the shins. My heart goes out to you, and I honestly don't know how you do it - and STILL use humour when reporting it back - sheesh. ((hugs))

How is that God-awful infection faring thesedays? Hope you feel better soon.

The Atavist said...

You are some gutsy folks. I enjoy (is that really the right word to use, considering your sometimes dreadful adventures?) reading about your life and how you cope with adversity. You have that true pioneer spirit that made America great.

Lin said...

Awww, Shrink, that is so kind of you but I know darn well that you have endured much more if you stop long enough to deeply probe and account life's ledgers. On the other hand, the sympathy of a ox-strong survivor is a very powerful elixir to keep me going when I weaken at the knees. Thank you so.

phlegmfatale said...

"After you bought a replacement for something you've lost and searched for everywhere, you'll find the original."

I've demonstrated this truth over and over.

SO glad you are back!!!

Lin said...

Atavist, I suppose it's all relevant. My sister assured me that a brother reads my latest adventures, if only in part to feel much better about his own daily situation. I, in turn, have to think heavily about third worlders who have never known any hint of domestic dignity when I am besieged with the latest turns of fate out here. Sieg, I think our parents were right when they beat us with thoughts of the underprivileged who would fight us for the cold, miserable peas on the plates before us. I MUST remember that always, I simply must now. At least the splendid show of nature's beauty out here always reminds me to count the unspoken, freely given blessings - I wish every decent soul could experience this. I so hope your hard-worked-for Nirvana works out equally or rather far more blessed in the end.

Lin said...

Phlegmmy, I kid you not - you have seized upon the NUM-BER ONE Murphy Law which has plagued us since our arrival here. In the utter panic which was our move, we didn't even know what handy items we had managed to bring along as opposed to those which acquaintances had all too gleefully skipped down the gang plank with.

And since then, we have exercised this maxim daily, despite the fact that we had compressed our sphere of habitation to one tenth of its original realm. Gaghhhh! (take notes!)

Anonymous said...

You know I'm not getting tired of hearing from you guys. Also, you havn't seem me when I'm not 'under control and cool'. Fortunately, it doesn't happen ofter these days.

Yea, I know when 'things havn't gone 'as planned' by the tone and sound of your voice when you call. Wish I could be there more often to hopefully be of some help. Hopefully late Oct. we'll be able to cruise by in Sally's new toy. No. it's not the MB. BTY, the apartment is finally done, looks like a resort and it's waiting you guys to try it out. Later, Red

Lin said...

Red, thanks for always being there for us. Hey, PTSD moments happen, it's just amazing that you weren't affected more by your unplanned vacation in Hanoi. You're one tough bird, old friend and we luv ya.

The new toy is not the MB - does that mean that it's not a Unimog either? Now THAT would be a cool toy out here.

Anonymous said...

The one thing that is not governed by Murphy's Law is that sunset. It is an absolutely spectacular photo!

Lin said...

Hi Anony, you certainly figured out what keeps us hanging on!

Buck said...

I just spent the past four hours (or so... I lost track) reading everything you've written, Lin, and I haven't been entertained as well in years. You and Mark have had quite the odyssey on the ranch, and it's a tale marvelously well-told. You are a gifted writer!

I look forward to more!

Lin said...

Buck ... you just made our week (and we sure needed it)! I enjoyed your blog immensely as well. I think you should meet our friend Red when you get up to ABQ next time - lots in common there between the AF, M/Cs and RVs.

FHB said...

No catfish, but a few trips to Cracker Barrel, not to mention all the other good eats. It was a blast!

Lin said...

FHB .. no catfish? I will forgive you guys this time but not for the Cracker Barrel visit for a while!

Bob's Blog said...

My favorite: the light at the end of the tunnel!

Lin said...

That's surely been my experience thus far, Bob, "I see that train a'comin ..." Just never realize what it is until it hits.