Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Whimsical Dreams and Schemes

.
Wow! The image below has been circulating like a wild fire in So. California. I saw it over at Goddess's place (she's in my links!) and also received two higher resolution versions from the Katlady and my brother all within hours. I am truly smitten with this image and not in the least offended that I was a 'must copy' on it. It doesn't look like a photo-shop wonder either but a genuine 3D project since it incorporates our beloved shipping containers (I'll do a post just on that some day, too). There was an eccentric structural genius at work here. Better still, the designer has displayed a certain defiance and disdain of decorum acceptable to even middle class society. In other words, I am absolutely in LOVE with it. Given the chance to tour a Guggenheim exhibit or this place, you know what my choice would be. Can't you just see this arrangement creeping up the back wall of our mesa behind the Rat? Don't kid yourself, the Anasazi would have done the same thing at Mesa Verde if they had access to cheap rat trailers, shipping containers, scrap iron, cranes and welding equipment.
.
.
This got me to thinking about our delayed Rat Town project again. The thaw and the muddy state of the roads have postponed the delivery of our two 14'x36' buildings indefinitely and I won't say that the delay has not discouraged me somewhat. My antidote is to dream on, as it always has been. I have forever created complex micro worlds in the process of waiting on promises and prospects, most of which never materialized. It eventually became the creative thought process which mattered most; a realized, completed project became almost anticlimactic after a few decades of dreams lost.
.
.
And so I dredged up a front-on view of the Rat (above) to impose my imagination upon, the two new buildings already in place in my visions. Not two overgrown and glorified potting sheds but two edifices to meld into my eccentric and whimsical 'big picture'. Yes, a very curious outpost in the middle of no man's land, something that will make the rare lost traveler grin and wonder.
.
It took considerable time to browse the Net for inspiration but I finally found some images which I could electronically beat into submission to form my otherwise very loose master plan (above). Since Slim and cowboy company liked the idea of an Old West Saloon, this was the grit around which my outrageous pearl would form.

The new buildings will stack up at a right angle to the Rat's front facade to form one continuous road face. We did not resurface the front face of the Rat and will not until we see where this wild hair of a plan is going. Ideally, the road-facing side of each new building will sport two or more distinct pseudo store fronts . What you see above is strictly a concept, much the way concept cars never meet the road in production numbers but it gives you a very rough idea at least.

It was an idea fermenting well before our arrival and, unfortunately, the many wonderful antique architectural details that I had been scrounging up in the Midwest were left behind thanks to the nature of those people to take advantage of our time and logistics predicament (oh no, no residual animosity, of course, but may they drown and then rot in Hell, the whole bloody lot of them). You just don't mess with my dreams.

What items we were able to salvage will not produce the vignette above but it is a start at least. It will be many, many years before we can find more architectural touches to complete a whimsical Old Western facade to our liking but the quest will keep me invigorated and inclined to venture into civilization more than once a year. The thrill, the lust of the hunt has not been officially abandoned yet.
.
.
.





41 comments:

FHB said...

Love it! That first picture looks like a disaster waitin' to happen, but the old western town, with Hotel california pub I'm thinkin', would be a hoot to hang out at. Love it.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Wow, your own ghost town! They'd be cool...and I could play the sheriff and shot Jeff off a roof somewhere!

Very nice!

alphonsedamoose said...

What a great idea. Can I be the baker or general store owner?

Lin said...

Exactly, Mushy! Our own ghost town - is that funky awesome or what?
I'll have to scrounge up a brass sheriff's badge for you, maybe a black Stetson for Jeff. I just LOVE big kid playtime! Live round use is between you and Jeff. Plenty of room for a new Boot Hill, though.

Lin said...

Take your pick, Moose - I'll take what's left! I'll find you some arm bands to keep the sleeves of your white shirt out of the ink and maybe a visor for doing the ledgers and some poker dealing later.

Can you tell I'm having fun with Rat Town already?

Catmoves said...

Saw that top pic in a newsletter labelled "Hillbilly Mansion".
I like the concept version, but I don't see a place where us chocholics can get our Cadbury's.
I do need to know if the "resurfacing" includes the roadway? My pony has lost a lot of its git-up-n-go.
And Wild Thing's idea of "camping out" is the nearest Casino hotel.
Leaving you with this thought: Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

david mcmahon said...

Looks like they're on their mettle, er, metal.

I like your version of Wisteria Lane, too.

And since we're still in 100 degree heat here, I hope your weather is not a thaw point!!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post. I'll run the general store. It reminded me of---- One of my favorite Las Cruceans (actor/artist/musician/singer), Bob Diven. He proposed (many years ago) that Las Cruces build (on the old downtown mall which was "limping along at the time") at least a 3 storied Billy the Kid bldg with shopping establishments within. In the stomach level (I think it was) he thought there should be an eating establishment---makes sense. He felt this would revitalize the old downtown area. Yes, the bldg. was extactly that a huge lifelike statue of "the kid". I wish I could conjure up a copy of the plan he set out. It didn't happen. Belle

Lin said...

Cat, Cadbury's will be in stock at the General Store, ALWAYS!

We've been seeing some minor road work (band aids to the severe parts) happening lately but I think that has everything to do with upcoming drill rig movement. If your neighborhood yielded as much revenue, your streets would be paved with gold but this appears to be a dedicated exploitation zone.

Heck, no problem for Wild Thing - we have a motel just 40 miles away, right across from the nearest gas station and grocery store! Then there's the Casino hotel 40 miles in the other direction so you have no excuses yet.

Lin said...

Hey David! Now don't be coming over here to start a word play war again - you KNOW how I can get.

Where has the time gone AGAIN - I swear you were just heading into Spring in OZ but now you must be approaching Fall again. One hundred degrees thertainly is a thaw point given our winter so far.

Lin said...

Oh Belle, I should have known you'd love the general store; all those yard goods, candy in big glass jars, flour and nails by the bin full, canned goods next to snake oils, all that cool ... STUFF, everywhere! It's too bad Walmart has killed off all those little old stores as part of its original business plan - I'd love to run a real general store or trading post, too!

Wow, a Billy the Kid building ... that would have been a hoot. Seems like we just don't have enough whimsy in architecture any more - buildings shaped like giant milk bottles, oranges and rocket ships. I really do long for a rebirth of buildings not built with long term generic marketability in mind. sigh

Alex L said...

I just figured out what your buildings remind me of. Its those installation buildings from movies set in antarctica and similar places. Esspecially with the snow there, Its 'the thing' all over again.

When you set up Rat town, when can we all move in?

Sarge Charlie said...

I love your photos, I am using the trailer high rise

Merisi said...

I love love your (so far) imaginary Old West abode! May I ask in which storefront the guest room will be located? *ahem*

(David sent me)

Anonymous said...

Love the 'ghost town' look. Can we still sit on the front porch and shoot? We've seen the great work you did on the farm house so whatever you do with it is going to look great! Also liked the trailer village. Would be a fun place to live. Are you going to have Guiness on draft in the saloon or will we have to go back to Belfast (this spring) to get it? Red

Lin said...

Alex, I so wish I could have found a photo without that miserable snow accumulation. It gave the project more of a Yukon look than a Mojave one. Then again, the frontier architecture seemed amazingly similar back then, no matter the climate.

I'd enjoy having folks populate Rat Town but getting the idea past Mr. Sociable would be quite another matter. sigh I figure I can slip in semi-permanent onesies and twosies though!

Lin said...

WOT happened to my reply to FHB?!? Well, it doesn't really matter now since Mushy and I have decided your fate anyway. You'll have a blast on the way out though!

Lin said...

Sarge, have at it! I figure that such images are too good not to spread across the blogosphere. That guy deserves some sort of outsider architecture award some day.

Lin said...

Merisi, any suggestions on that? The budgies have not quite landed on which store front it will be. Right now it is somewhere between "Nukleer Fizzics Deepartment" (so named to honor a friend of mine) and maybe the place where you can rent water skies and fishing tackle to take advantage of our mostly dry creek. Okay, okay, maybe not quite Vy-enna straad options but you work with what you have, you know.

Lin said...

Ah-hah! Red, I haven't forgotten that detail. I am hoping to build a small and comfy deck up on top of the 45 footer (with REAL stairs for Sally even!). Would be a great place to sit and watch the shooting stars, too.

Daryl said...

Now that's wonderful!

David sent me.

The Atavist said...

I'll come visit when you're done. Will I be allowed to strap on a six-shooter, wear boots with spurs, and do my best imitation of a Louis L'Amour or Zane Grey character?

BRUNO said...

OK on the parts for Mushy and Jeff, but by gawd, I wanna be the Territorial Circuit Judge, in charge of the lynchings---er, I mean, "Duly-Authorized Hangings"...!

Lin said...

Daryl, not often we get a gal from the Brahnx stop in - thank you (and David, too!).

Lin said...

Atavist, what do you mean by 'allowed'? It is part of the dress code! If visitors were to show up in 'no iron' attire, it just wouldn't be the same. I know you'll get a kick out of the place.

Lin said...

Bruno, you'd be perfect! Judge Bruno Bean presiding. I run partial to a good hangin' judge, too, so I'd better get a head start on the Boot Hill subdivision.

simon said...

everytiemI visit this blog I am reminded that the colours are so much like here!!
:o)

Towanda said...

Good grief, Lin!
I haven't been here for a few days ... and I see in my absence you have erected a whole Old West town on your homestead!

I LOVE IT! It's just about the coolest thing I can think of for you to build!

I wonder if you will have a need for a frontier nurse? I could learn how to treat snakebites and sprained ankles from falling off horses and twisting them on rock climbs. Then of course there are the gunshot wounds from too much "boys and their toys" horseplay. ;) I can suture cuts and dispense tylenol....and if I don't know what to do I can say "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."

My hubby LOVES to do woodworking and various building stuff - I can volunteer him to help you construct the Main Street of the town.

Actually it was the suggestion of Cadbury's being available that has gotten me intrigued.

Lin said...

Simon, does seem like Oz was England's other 'Old West', doesn't it? But you have a lot more tropical-looking spots and the exotic critters to go with it!

Lin said...

Towanda, you're hired! Apparently being able to treat ailments with whiskey is the big talent needed in the Old West. You can work out of the Apothecary Shop which WILL have my herbs and spices finally unpacked. That space will double as my computer room and office - my very own private little space again!!! It will also house the Cadbury's supply to be doled out under your jurisdiction for genuine chocolate withdrawals.

Hey, how's your hubby on a wood lathe or a band saw? I'd love to have someone help me make the gingerbread details since there will so many of them to make. I think it's going to be fun experimenting with finishes to make the place look weathered, too.

Can you tell I'm having max fun with this project already? grin

Buck said...

Late to the party, I am. But... Is there a back story on the trailer-stack? Do you know if this is a single-family Mobile Mansion, or an apartment complex? I LOVE the concept... and I'd live there in a New Yawk Minute. Assuming they'd let me park El Casa Móvil De Pennington somewhere on the prem...

Much as I love the ersatz Ol' West storefronts/village you're dreaming about building. It also seems you have NO lack for volunteers to staff it... at this point in time.

Lin said...

Geez, you ARE unusually late to the party, Buck. Why do I suspect a certain dental problem as the culprit?

I'd love to know the background on that photo myself - one man estate or a multi-party complex? If the latter, he'd probably love to add the ECMdP to the mix, possibly providing that it would agree to conjugate with a shipping container.

We still have openings for a town dog-catcher and undertaker, you know. Mark might be inclined to favor that last one, however, if he abdicates the Mayor's job.

Anonymous said...

May I be the "Tart of old with a heart of gold?"

Lin said...

THAT's what I was forgetting - the saloon needs a belle! Done deal then, starch up your crinolines, Miss Babzy!

Buck said...

Geez, you ARE unusually late to the party, Buck. Why do I suspect a certain dental problem as the culprit?

Spot-on, Dear Lin. I've not been making the rounds as usual, of late. As a s'matter of fact, I've spent entirely TOO much time abed these last few. But things are looking up...thanks for asking.

I'm not up for being a dogcatcher, but I could sure as Hell be a damned fine relief barkeep! Or even a barkeep with a regular shift... assuming you won't serve frou-frou drinks in the saloon, of course. ;-)

Lin said...

Aw drats, Buck, that was my best guess worst fear all right. I cringe when a dental problem pops up around here so you have my complete empathies there.

Gads, you WOULD make a fine bartender at the saloon! Not to worry, no frilly drinks there!!! I'm figuring a CC and water will be about as frou-frou as it's gonna get.

phlegmfatale said...

I'm loving the crap out of your "outrageous pearl" of an ideer. Sounds fabulous to me. If I had my druthers, I could stay in the bawdy house section when I come to visit. How would that be? :P

Lin said...

Oh my, Phlegmmy, I hadn't even thought about where that would be! We were going to put the library next to the saloon - I know, a bit of an odd pairing. Then again, I know you have a true lust for reading so it could be your dream bedroom.

NotClauswitz said...

We built our club's range shed around a couple shipping containers, they are mean-metal bastages and can certainly be stacked and welded in all kinds of configurations, probably a guy with a Navy or shipyard background would come in handy.

Lin said...

dirtcrashr, oh don't get us going on containers again - we would still LOVE to do something with them. Problem out here in NM is that they are embarrassingly pricey, like 4 times the price we could have picked them up on in the Midwest. With that kind of base price, suddenly more traditional options start to compete for our attention and budget. sigh

phlegmfatale said...

I loved the dickens out of that mobile home/container condo thingie, btw.